Software equivalent to Generation loss?

I love the concept and sound of the Cooper FX generation loss pedal but I’m positive that I’ll never own one as I’m not likely to spend $400ish on an effects pedal unless it’s something like the zoia or it’s it’s modular format. So I was wondering if there’s any software equivalent, I’m sure there’s a slew of software tape emulation effects plug ins but in particular I’m looking for something that covers as much of THAT sound, tape, cassette tape, VHS audio something comprehensive.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

Check out these:
xls Audio RC-20
Baby Audio Super VHS
Aberrant DSP Sketch Cassette

2 Likes

There’s also the Chow Tape Model (and it’s free).

6 Likes

Audiothing Wires

Audiothing Reels

Both fantastic.

4 Likes

Flavor Pro: https://www.thempcstore.com/mpc-plugin-instruments/flavor-pro.html

1 Like

+1 for Reels - just bought in their sale and loving it.

2 Likes

I forgot I had that one (came free with the Keystep as I recall, along with a few other plugins). It’s also a lot of fun.

1 Like

I’ve tried a lot of tape plug-ins but RC-20 is my go to inside the DAW. I can’t say how it will compare to the Generation Loss, but RC-20 is one of my top plugins ever, and not expensive. I use multiple instances on like every track I do, as I almost always go for an old school aesthetic. You can hear the saturation with a little VHS hiss and some mild modulation here (link below). It sounds great not just with VSTs, but on analog synths as well. I even use it on the master bus. It will do various kinds of noise, modulation, saturation, bit crushing, reverb, and tape. You can apply it to only certain parts of the spectrum I believe, and there are also randomness parameters that can be tweaked.

1 Like