Software Grooveboxes

I was wondering if such a thing as software Grooveboxes exist? I have been producing with Ableton since day one but I often get distracted by the countless options available. I am currently making full tracks using a couple of Reaktor grooveboxes, they are very limited but at least I get to finish what I start.

Do standalone software Grooveboxes exist? Ideally something self contained with just enough options to make full tracks.

3 Likes

I have always wanted more software that acts like a groovebox. There used to be one or two maybe, like Imageline Groove Machine (which has now disappeared) and in theory something like NI Maschine but it’s a pain without the hardware and it’s too complicated in my opinion. I got a cheap second-hand Maschine MK3 but I rarely use it, it’s stuck halfway between a groovebox and a full sequencing/arrangement tool. It doesn’t seem to do either thing that well IMO.

One thing I am looking at again recently is Reason. I have always hated the sequencer/timeline (and I still do) but with the addition of the RE players format in recent years there are various plugins that act like step sequencers and drum machine sequencers. They generally have patterns which you can either sequence or switch using MIDI CC etc. Stick to a handful of basic FX and a handful of tracks and see what takes.

Another thing I would suggest is to deliberately limit your projects to keep them simple. Start with a template that only has e.g. 6 or 8 tracks and limit yourself to that. Don’t add any more tracks and try to work in the session view so you only have a few clips (patterns) for each track and stick to basic FX like delay, filter and reverb and nothing else. Maybe try 6 tracks and 2 group/buss tracks and see what you can come up with. It also works well with typical MIDI or grid controllers that tend to have no more than 8 tracks or rows of controls available.

It’s kind of a way to create your own simple groovebox paradigm. I’m always suffering with too many options myself so I’m trying to find way to deliberately restrict myself and have predefined limitations.

4 Likes
10 Likes

Grooverider GR16: https://www.jimaudio.pro

It’s basically an electribe 2 software clone.

5 Likes

Never used it personally but Drambo looks great.

5 Likes

@maxjvh made a cool Elektron-style browser groovebox

8 Likes

Fir me Renoise is great as a stand-alone environment and yeah I suppose you could think of it as a groovebox of sorts.

3 Likes

This is something I’ve always wanted but have never really found. For me the closest has been Korg Gadget – it’s got a self-contained set of instruments and a simplified DAW-like arrangement interface, but lacks interesting sequencing options and effects.

I wish the M8 Tracker was desktop-native software.

2 Likes

thanks for the shoutout! plugin version coming this year (hopefully) :slightly_smiling_face:

edit: my motivation for creating this is pretty much exactly what @bluesmoke described

5 Likes

drambo and grooverider are superb

1 Like

Korg Gadget or Garageband. Technically both DAW’s, but both are limited and stripped down and give you a curated selection of instruments to work with. They are also easy to get use and get jamming on. And they both work for desktop or iPad/iPhone. Gadget is more electronic music focused while Garageband has more “band” stuff, but it does still have a decent selection of drum machines and synths.

You could also try the new Ableton Note app for iOS. It is just a stripped back app for getting together grooves and ideas quickly.

2 Likes

Ah! Dang it! I’m disappointed in myself for not immediately suggesting Renoise when I saw this thread.

1 Like

The NI Maschine Essentials and Akai MPC Software. Both products are software-only without the respective hardware controller.

2 Likes

Drambo is the best ! I didn’t mention it since OP said being distracted by the countless options available. And Drambo is so so deep…

3 Likes

Beatmaker 3 is awesome as well

2 Likes

I love using microtonic vst as a Groovebox. Also DrumComputer from sugar bytes is a nice one for grooves.

As suggested by others, the iPad has a lot more options for grooveboxes.
Pure Acid
Korg Electribe Wave
Flip (sampler)
Koala (sampler)
Groovebox (novation)

1 Like

I’ve not tried but this has always seemed pretty interesting: Free browser groovebox: tahti is surprisingly powerful Elektron-inspired groovemaker - CDM Create Digital Music

4 Likes

Yes it’s the one @sleepside talked about.
The dev @maxjvh is an Elektronaut :wink:

Really like this app, this is like a virtual digitakt!

2 Likes

Tahti is radical. Lots of fun.

I imagine with a bit of discipline and a good outline of what you want, one could make a groove box-like template in Ableton. When tempted to stray and plug-in surf, don’t until you have a good song idea developed. You could then switch to the arranger and finalize it as a song.

1 Like

I’m quite surprise no one has developped a groovebox with the pc/mac standard keyboard in mind.
I don’t have an OP-Z, but look like, it’s “mostly” key based.
And with a simple graphical interface it could do quite impressive stuff.

What people like about Elektron Box, is this tactile workflow, ok, with encoders.
But those key combo, are quite important, the UI is not what is the most important.

So I question myself in the end. Why :slight_smile:

2 Likes