Solid State Logic six compact mixer

i guess i was bored at work! (and i was seeing if i really needed a bluebox……no):

10 Likes

Has anyone noticed that the SSL SIX Stereo inputs “bias” a bit to either L or R channel? Some channels eg 3/4 and 5/6 stereo inputs allow this to be compensated with the balance knob, but some external inputs do not (EXT 1/2 IN or master insert/return loop)

I noticed some asymmetry with multiple devices and channels - even showing up subtly on the mixer LEDS where a L/R mono signal is slightly panned one way or the other

Note: swapping the audio cables does not change this bias, indicating that it originates inside the mixer itself!

am I nit picking? is this the beauty of analog? it would be good to hear other people’s comments

for reference I used ozone insight to show this bias in my DAW

4 Likes

I remember reading this somewhere before, and there is a video on how to calibrate the channels.

Edit: It looks like this one might be more focused towards levels. But, with the plugin he was using, e you should be able to use the Balance knob to calibrate the pan of the stereo channels.

1 Like

I have definitely noticed this recently. I just assumed I was doing something wrong at the source(s). Good to know that this is something to look out for.

1 Like

I want to see if we can put together a test methodology in Ableton

something like - get a sampler like octatrack or a synth to produce a sine wave at unity gain, and feed it into each channel - and measure the outputs in ableton.

the manual suggests the results for each stereo pair should be +/- 1 db at unity gain

lets test it out

fwiw this is happening to my Mackie 802 VLZ4 and I emailed Mackie about it and they wrote back that it is typical of “small mixers”. Not this particular mixer or mixer model but “small mixers”. I thought the phrasing was odd and a way to skirt responsibility but after seeing it might be happening on an SSL, perhaps accurate.

2 Likes

I think what they meant was “cheap mixers”. There’s nothing about size that would make this normal, unless they meant something like “massive consoles have trim pots somewhere”, which is a different story.

Also what I thought. But then I see people reporting similar issue with a SiX and…I don’t know…maybe something there…

Maybe the cost cutting they usually do to ensure balance on “cheap mixers” they did here as well.

One thing I love about the SiX is that the quality is good enough to record straight from its outputs, which is great if I want to just capture something good going through there with hardware aux effects such as a delay pedal.

4 Likes

Hi and sorry for beeing terrible late on this one…
As you might allready figured out there is a simple solution to the mixing and processing task that was asked.

Route Stereo 1/2 & Stereo 3/4 to BussB.
Route Ext 1/2 and Ext 3/4 and BussB to Monitor.
Patch Monitor Out to Input 1/2 where EQ can be applied.
Route 1/2 to Main where Bus Compressor can be applied.
Take back the Main Out (XLR or on the DSub) back to Daw.

Unfortunately the Monitoring via Headphones is not that versatile for this solution.

Kind regards

8 Likes

That’s genius. I’d not considered any sort of routing like that. I’ve got to move my monitors to run out from my interface so I can open up using the main monitor outs of the Six

There are indeed at least 1001 routing options to do for various purposes… in the given scenario you could also add the following:

Use the “second” Monitor Out (which is available on the DSub) to feed the Channel 1/2 Alt In - you will need 2 DSub Cables for this. Then you can Select the Alt In Switch on Channel 1/2 to route this “parallel” Monitor Mix to the Cue1. Then you can “mix” that Cue1 to the “Main” where you allready have the Monitor Signal “processed” via Channel 1/2 Dynamics&EQ to construct an even richer and “parallel” processed Mix.

For routing options consider the “manual” on page 31.

Kind regards.

3 Likes

Is BUS B before or after the stereo cues?

The signal path diagrams make me think that bus b comes out after them.

But i have an fx loop on ext1/fback stereo cue 1 out that is not coming out Bus B.

Ive pressed probably not every combo of buttons but understanding mixers is just NOT my strong point. Thanks for your help!

I don’t think you can get the stereo ext1/2 out of bus B.

What are you trying to do?

1 Like

I’ll add that I’ve noticed a bias towards the left on my SiX since I got it. Also experienced on my cheap 10 input Yamaha mixer but not on my Allen & Heath Zed-14.

Thanks bruce. I have bus b out to octatrack in AB and want the audio routed through Bus B to be the wet from the stcue1 fx loop.

I’ve always wanted to do this so I could play something into the Six with effects on the sends and sample it. But only this instrument, not everything else coming in to the six.

What I do now is send the Main out into what ever I’m recording / sampling with (OT/Blackbox/Bitwig) then send everything else to Bus B and turn monitoring on for Bus B and Main.

Yes, exactly what i want to do. But at least nice to get confirmation that im not alone:).

Im sure some double routing process could work but that would take another set of ins.

Same issue on mackie 1202 vlz4

Mackie confirmed that it is absolutely normal

The 1604 Mackie does not do it, it is perfectly balanced

Can you not do what I do and send the stuff you don’t want to sample to Bus B, have Main outs to OT A/B rather than the Bus B outs your using - then press the Bus B button on the monitor section? Or are you using the Main Outs to record the “performance” from?

1 Like