Solid State Logic six compact mixer

Turn it up at the monitor section (the knobs above the buttons you had pressed before you started sending the FX returns to the master)

4 Likes

Yes this.

The level control affects both the level sent to main bus and monitor section. It’s a bit confusing as it is inside the monitor section.

So the switches control whether Ext 1,2 goes to monitor, but the level controls level to both main bus and monitor.

4 Likes

Awesome! thanks to both

Any ideas for a dust cover of some kind to keep dust off my SSL Six Mixer?

thomann had one. Not sure how well it works if you have cables attached though.

I throw an old bottom sheet over my setup when I’m not using it. Didn’t synth for a month and it seemed to work well, for what that’s worth :smile:

Revisiting/solidifying the setup recently ~ once again finding myself appreciating the SiX’s flexibility and routing options.

An example: main tracks coming in on channels 3-4, use Bus B to send to Blackbox for EQ (HPF - no kicks in my delay please) returned on Ext2 to send to Cue2 (matriarch) FX which returns through channels 5-6. Now I want to also listen to the original tracks - send 3-4 to Cue1 and then bring it into the mains. There are certainly other ways to have made this happen but having the way laid out in such a functional path was a delight :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So I saw the BIG SiX yesterday at a store , dealer only info I assume.
It had been a long day, so I just glanced and thought it looks interesting, I’ll google it on the way home. In other words , I would have paid more attention , but here’s what I remember :
1)double the faders 4 stereo ins 4 superanalogue mic/line mono in, identical to SiX nice 100mm throw with led meters (assume compressor on each , didn’t look but that would be nuts if each channel didn’t have at least what the SiX has)
2) incorporates a 24bit/96kHz interface
3) retains 2 stereo cue sends same as SiX

that’s about it. Didn’t look at eq or buss compressor, didn’t know this thing wasn’t out.
For what it’s worth (that’s not much if anything) I wish they hadn’t called it Big SiX sounds silly to me. I’m sure there was a lot of back and forth - i wish the ‘TwElvE’ idea had won - anyway it’s just a name

5 Likes

Wow, that’s crazy that SSL hasn’t released any info yet, but there’s one just sitting at a store somewhere. I can’t wait to see this thing.

1 Like

Wow - tons of features. Theintegrated interface is a nice touch. As I recall, the price tag is going to be hefty, but I think it’s meant for folks who are doing much more than I am. That being said, I have finally settled in with setup that includes the SSL SiX and a MOTU M4 that is more than enough for my needs. If it ain’t broke, right?

3 Likes

I’m considering a sound card. But I’m gonna wait until this baby becomes official.

SSL Big SiX - Compact Mixer with SuperAnalogue design

The SSL Big SiX is a the all new compact Mixer from SSL with SuperAnalogue design. The Big SiX features an essential version of G-Comp Bus Compressor, 3-band 4000E Series EQ and USB interface.

Based on the widely acclaimed Solid State Logic SiX desktop mixer and incorporating feedback from artists, producers and engineers to create the next step in SSL hybrid production, BiG SiX is a studio grade mixing console that combines features from legendary large-format SSL consoles with full USB integration, additional processing and extremely flexible routing to deliver the quality, features and workflow audio professionals have come to rely on from SSL.

BiG SiX’s SuperAnalogueTM design delivers the punch, clarity, and ultra-low distortion that engineers love from the 9000 series consoles with the flexibility of 16 channels of high-quality AD / DA conversion and USB interface. Featuring an essential version of the SSL G-Comp Bus Compressor now with renowned ‘Auto’ release, Channel processing in the form of Dynamics and three band EQ based on the iconic SSL 4000E, comprehensive monitoring section and up to 18 channels of analogue summing at mix-down, BiG SiX is the essential SSL studio.

Features

• Four SuperAnalogueTM ‘Money Channels’ featuring:
    • Mic / line level input / Hi-Z
    • Phantom power / HPF
    • Classic SSL Channel Dynamics
    • Updated three band LF/MF/HF SSL EQ (based on SSL E Series)
    • Fully balanced insert point
  • Four stereo inputs featuring:
    • Dual mono switching
    • Wide gain range
  • Built in 16 channel high quality USB AD and DA Converters:
    • 96 kHz / 24-bit
    • Advanced routing
  • Three compressor flavours:
    • Classic SSL Channel Dynamics
    • Listen Mic Compressor
    • Essential version of G-Comp Bus Compressor
  • 100 mm studio grade faders:
    • Classic SSL response curve with large sweet spot
    • Long throw, as found on large-format SSL consoles
  • Professional LED meters:
    • Fast and accurate peak response
    • Large 12 segment main / 8 segment channel metering
    • Defined segments for +24 dBu and +18 dBu
  • Essential version of SSL Bus Compressor:
    • Based on legendary G-Comp design
    • Now with renowned ‘Auto’ release
  • Two headphone outputs:
    • Independently routable source matrix
    • Professional quality headphone amp
  • Comprehensive Monitoring section:
    • Switch between two sets of monitors
    • Mono / dim / cut
    • Flexible monitoring source matrix
    • Talkback
  • Two stereo cue feeds
  • Bus B / Mute switching
  • Two fully balanced stereo summing inputs
  • Up to 18 inputs at mixdown
  • Mix Bus inject for cascading additional SiX/BiG SiX
9 Likes

9 Likes

Oh gawd

2 Likes

Someone’s finally done it

1 Like

I’m feeling pretty positive about this Big Six. Having 3 band EQ on the first 4 channels, and adding an auto-release switch on the compressor are nice upgrades. I also don’t see any DB25 connections on the back, which remedies the need to pay extra for those connectors to access some of those ins and outs. The addition of the second headphone jack is also a nice addition that I was hoping for.

I wish they hadn’t put the audio interface in it, as I would rather not pay extra for that. I would have rather paid for a full-featured bus compressor instead. At least a variable HPF on the compressor would have been a nice upgrade. I think the Six has one permanently set to 50hz, which is a bit low for my liking.

I wonder if they put the updated channel compressor in this one that they put in the 500 series channel?

It looks funny to me. After owning, and looking at pics of the Six, this one looks like a forum mockup that came to life. Like, let’s just stretch it out a bit, haha. I’m not trying to say it looks bad, it just looks funny to me on first view.

Despite a couple of gripes, I am digging this thing. I had a Six for a while, and even though it was brilliant with all of its routing options, it just fell short of channels for me. Now, this is the type of modern small console I was hoping for. Great SSL Sound quality, and an ample number of channels for my needs.

6 Likes

Ha - totally!

3 Likes

I’m new to the SSL Six and am wondering what are the correct 2x D-Sub connectors that I need? Is it this?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DTP805--hosa-dtp-805-5-meter

And would it be 2 of those or is there another specifically for Return (Audio In)?

THX

2 Likes

That’s the one I used. They’re ok. Not great, but did the job…. I had to cut the main rubber cover down so the ends of the snake were longer to get to things, but if your going into a patch at you’ll be good.

2 Likes

Yes, 2…… i think i have the 2 meter length….in a couple instances i use 1/4” trs female to male and/or trs-trs female-female connectors to extend lengths….

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. Appreciated. So far, loving the SiX :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: