Solid State Logic six compact mixer

is there any adat connections to integrate it into existing setup? Longtime I was thinking about analog summing but the SiX is a bit to small for it (less channels), but the big brother looks great for this.

I got myself 2x D-Sub connectors - they really help open this mixer up further. Nice.

I have a gear related question: some of the jacks on the D-Sub are not being used, is there such a thing as a 1/4" jack cap? Like a blank plastic cap that can fit over the plug and stop any accidental noise / static etc.?

I’ve tried searching but can’t find anything…

1 Like

Good question? I have my D-sub going to a patch bay, so unused connectors hasn’t been an issue.

Maybe just electrical tape though it will probably leave residue.

I’m not sure it would be an issue. The unused outputs are going out, so it should not bring noise back in. The inputs are for channel 1&2 insert return, channel 1&2 alt inputs, and master insert return. All of those have to be switched in, so they would not bring in a signal, or noise unless they are switched in, in which case you would probably have them hooked up to something.

2 Likes

I just taped mine up. No issues.

Thanks for the tips. I feel there is a gap in the market :sweat_smile:

But yeah, I don’t think I have any issues as @HoldMyBeer you’re right, they need to be switched on to send any signal back into the SiX.

THX

1 Like

Pop into an electronics shop and get some cable heat shrink.
Dirt cheap, comes in at about $0.50 for 1 meter.
I don’t actually heat it to stay on. The right size should fit snugly.

4 Likes

#protip

1 Like

SiX in action. With its mate the Fusion.

14 Likes

SiX is cool, but BIG SIX is super cool

The equalizer on the stereo channel is really a must for mixing properly stereo and mono sources

1 Like

Is all that balanced on a stool? :grimacing:

2 Likes

Haha yes :slight_smile: that’s about as close to living on the edge as I ever get these days :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just got one of these as a semi trade for a Syntryx. I’ve only ever used a Tascam model 12.

I have a Pro3 and a Hydrasynth, Digitone, and Digitakt, and Pulsar.

Should I run the Pro3 audio into the Digitakt and the Hydra audio into the Digitone, then those two into the stereo ins on the six? Then, the Pulsar into one of the mono inputs.

I have NO idea what I’m doing with the Six and no clue about mixers or making music in general…just love gear and just got it in a trade so thought I’d try it out.

For now to keep it KISS just put the p3 an pulsar on the monos, the hydra and DN on the stereos, and DT on one of the Ext’s.
Put your favourite fx on one of the cue/sends and back into the 2nd Ext.
The six is a bit of a labyrinth at first.

2 Likes

Can I use the Six for a few synths and then run the output into my Tascam Model 12 as I have more synths than the Six can support…will the signal from the SIX into the Tascam become degraded going into the Tascam?

Yes you can.

But to ensure a high level signal chain your second mixer should be the same audio quality level.

The Tascam Model 12 has AD converters after the preamp stage - so the quality you reach is influenced by the quality of these converters.

A better choice in my opinion would me to sell off the SIX and the Tascam and get a SSL Big SiX with more inputs.

1 Like

If I route the Pro3 into the Digitakt and the Cobalt 8 into the Digitone and then both Digis into the Six Stereos and my Pulsar 23 and RD-9 into the Monos, that seems like it might work?

It works yes - but you are adding AD-DA conversion of the digitakt/digitone to the signal from your Pro3 and Cobalt8 before they hit the mixer. I probably wouldn’t be able to hear the difference vs running them directly into the mixer - but some would probably lament that you are loosing some of the “ssl magic” by doing it this way

Just discovered the joy of routing one effects send into a stereo channel and have it optionally effected by a second send.

This currently finds me with a dedicated effects channel for my Chase Bliss Mood, which I can then send to my Cosmos and H9 at will, for some delicious weaving of textures.
I found myself playing the Mood and Cosmos like instruments whilst a spacious, grainy lo-fi /-hi-fi sound-o-sphere took on a life of its own.

I just wanted to share my glee at having re-routed things and found such creative results.
It’s the small things…:slight_smile:

6 Likes