Solid State Logic .. SSL Big SiX

Why ya trolling. This thing is nice. Even if the interface dies after a period of time, you’re still left with a super robust mixer…

I don’t need anything this heavy duty/expensive for my music making process but I would also chime in that they did a great job with this and seems like a good value. Expecting to see it in a lot of synth video makers’ studios

yeah if not trolling or sarcasm, I’m curious to know what would make it “right” or not boring.

Are the 96 kHz / 24-bit dacs any good vs 192 kHz?

48kHz/24bit is the best anyone needs. There’s lots of research that 196 just introduces its own artefacts.
But it also depends on the make and model of the DAC or ADAC and their peripherals. Fingers crossed SSL choose wisely, not cheaply.

1 Like

I use 48khz myself, but when you try and reproduce waveforms which have harmonics that go higher than 20khz then your 44.1/48khz converters fold back those higher harmonics back on themselves into the audible spectrum which creates aliasing distortion.

the higher sample rates push this fold back of harmonics out of the audible spectrum and that’s why they’re used.

edit. Just found vid showing this if you’re interested.

re: the Big SiX.
Not sure how they’ve managed to make this mixer for this price as they’ve managed to cram a load of £550 each 500 series 4000 EQ;s , then £whatever for the compressors etc into this box. My suspicion is that the mixer probably isn’t much different to a similar sized and much less expensive Yamaha or Soundcraft mixer and people would probably be better off with one of those with an added outboard bus comp rack.

I’d like to be proven wrong here with some audio demos showing this SSL audio quality, but I think you’re just paying for a name on the box.

4 Likes

Hate to be that guy but I wish it didn’t have an interface. Drooling over pictures and I keep seeing the USB symbol. It feels out of place to me.

I totally understand why they did it, and probably would have had many complaints if they didn’t. I remember the SiX taking hits because it lacked an interface.

I still think it’s awesome, pet peeve I guess.

2 Likes

I was just looking at close-up pictures and saw that:

I guess it is meant for materials that aren’t in direct contact with the skin (like stuff inside) but I have no idea. I’m sure it’s not dangerous, or not more than other electronic products, I found it interesting and was surprised.

1 Like

Looks like SoundOnSound have a review for it already. https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ssl-big-six

2 Likes

Same here. Or at least make it a little bit more routable and.or add ADAT in/out and wordclock sync. Meh… better take it out.

1 Like

The Proposition 65 warning is something that California requires. I’ve seen it appear on so many different things - a beer glass with screen-printing on it, for example. It could have something to do with the ink on the front panel, or the solder used inside on the circuit board. Ultimately, it’s nothing to be worried about. Just don’t try to eat off your mixer, or eat the mixer itself, and you’ll be A-OK.

2 Likes

Well, this is the first piece of gear I have ever preordered. I am sure it won’t be perfect, but I am absolutely willing to work around whatever limitations it has. I am mostly hardware but have been getting into a more hybrid setup (and was currently looking for an interface). This can easily be the new centerpiece to reorganize my studio around. I feel like I am the exact customer it was targeted at. I will probably will have to get one more patch bay though ;-).

Thanks for the link. That video is unlisted on youtube so I guess I would have never found it otherwise

You mean the issue of stereo outputs being slightly biased to left or right? My SiX does this and I’ve read others who mentioned the same. Hasn’t been a problem in practice but it triggers my OCD, especially if I’m running sounds through it multiple times.

Exactly that. And wow, if SSL can’t solve that issue.

I’ve read on this forum about the left right imbalance on the six, unfortunate. Hopefully big six doesn’t suffer from this.

Big six seems like a bargain now that the Six has had a $300 price bump

Wow, That’s crazy!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s like SSL were gifting the current Six owners by saying, here ya go, if you want sell that Six to upgrade to the Big Six, you won’t be losing much money on the Six sale.

3 Likes

True, I got mine new for $1200ish with a coupon. I’d probably make money. I. Have. To. Resist.

3 Likes

I’m thinking of all the possibilities. Four jaw harps simultaneously recording on the first four channels, and four stereo recordings of four different popcorn makers on the four stereo channels. Use ST. Cue 1 as a send through a jar of salsa, and ST. Cue 2 as a send through my own aura/energy field. Hit it with that bus compressor, then boom, it’s time to eat.

5 Likes