SOLVED: pasting into new pattern without landing in the pattern

Veterans, probably don’t read because this has been covered over and over again.
Still, I have some further ideas I would like to verify.

Let me start with the assumptions.

1. Saving a pattern is a way to create a restore point
  2. Patterns are automatically saved upon pattern change. Also the recent unsaved version is retained after restarting the device.
  3. Unlike kits, which don’t auto save, and revert to the last save after restarting the device
  4. Depending on the setting chosen, kits may be restored from last save or not upon changing pattern.
  5. Changing project prompts project save. Not saving makes the pattern and kit saves revert to the last save of the project snapshot upon the next project reopen.

Now, to the conclusions.

If the above is correct, I have one key thing which has been evading me so far.
Imagine working on a pattern. You come to a good version.
6. Save pattern, save kit. The sequence of these does not matter.
7. project save optional but good practice

You keep tweaking the pattern (ignore the sounds part here) and like the new outcome. You have already gone too far.

Since changing the pattern is the required for creating a copy of it
and
changing the pattern saves the pattern automatically, you are faced with a dilemma: whether to lose the previous version (even if saved) or the present one.

The options are

• spare the older version. No+Pattern restores older version. You can now copy it, change pattern to a blank one, paste pattern and try to recreate the changes you liked.
  • spare the current version. Copy pattern change to an empty one, save. You’ve got the new version in two copies now because changing the pattern to an empty one overwrote the last save with the recent save. Make sure to save the new pattern, get back to the previous one and try to recover its earlier state.
    Alternatively you can save the project as a new one without saving the current one. Get back to the current, copy the unchanged version of the pattern close the project. reopen the new project go the earlier pattern, paste, save, save project. Voilla!

How to make it simpler?

You can copy the current pattern and paste it to another one without switching to the new pattern.

• copy the current pattern
  • PTN+another trig, hold it, then hold paste

Does this bring you something?

What I do, personally, is copy a pattern to the next slot when I’m happy of what is happening, save, switch to the next slot flawlessly and keep tweaking.
If later I want to start again from this pattern, I copy it elsewhere again and tweak it there.

1 Like

Following your guidance I landed in the new pattern, meaning, failure.
but
Just found out. I use direct jump rather than sequential because with long patterns and slow bpm, waiting for pattern change is not for my temperament.

When in Direct Jump, it is impossible to paste to another pattern without landing there, which triggers pattern save.
I think it is an omission because it is a different thing to select change pattern and select paste to pattern, and Sequential vs Direct Jump etc selection is not relevant here.
Looks like room for OS improvement.

So, changing to Sequential does indeed enable just pasting without relocating. Feels like time has slowed down :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Regarding your approach to timing saves and save as’es, Your approach requires at least two patterns per a single pattern so to speak - one for the last save and one operational. Assuming you develop only one pattern, and not a series, you would still need two.
So you save a pattern and immediately create a new one, might tweak but not choose to save, or do a slight change.
Next month you open a project, you may have pairs of identical patterns, or nearly identical, then need to unmute all to know.
If works for you, perfectly fine, but I will keep Okham’s razor handy. Thanks

I am often in Direct Jump, this mode is badass.
But indeed, no way to use the trick I described in this mode.
Unless you switch temporarily to Sequential mode, paste to the other pattern, the come back to Jump mode.

glad you mentioned that, some of these questions are already answered and covered (e.g. using sequential mode), it helps to search a bit before asking and ideally opt to develop an existing topic if possible. If every forum question was a new topic the already documented solutions would become progressively harder to search for.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and comment.
I totally agree, however, I browsed the forum for easily a dozen of posts, many inconclusive, some with clues, but the sequential vs direct distinction came out in this post in my exchange with LyingDalai, so I would not have known those were the key words to look for, if that makes sense.

I am aware it must be boring to review the same questions over and over, hence the disclaimer in the first post, which will apply to most of my questions until I master the device, so would not want to be distraction - everybody’s time is precious these days.