[Solved] Unable to add rows or do any editing at all in the song editor?

Hi guys,

I never meant to delurk with a help request, but I just got my Machinedrum SPS-1UW Mk2 and I’m having a bit of panic.

I’ve made my first pattern with a few variations, chained them successfully, but now I’m entering Song Mode to go a bit deeper with the arrangement and to my surprise I can’t add rows or navigate at all. I am not one to refuse to RTFM, I have read it completely online before purchase and reviewed the relevant section of the print copy since encountering this problem and I’m still stuck.

Of course it’s possible that I failed to retain something from the manual, but I’m not finding my answer in the Song Mode chapter so I thought it was worth asking here.

I am pressing [FUNCTION] + [KIT] to enter Song Setup, selecting the Edit icon, and pressing [FUNCTION] + [DOWN] to add a row, but with no result. It is as though the arrow keys are completely disabled in Song Edit, I can’t navigate at all.

I have tried creating a new song in case the demo song was locked or something and that did not help. Really hoping my unit is not defective. It came from Perfect Circuit who somehow had a few listed for sale new in box last week, so I jumped on it while I could.

There were other apparent issues in my first hours with the machine last night but they have not been reproducible today, so I assumed I had done something to cause the glitches. But now I’m not so sure. Those glitches were as follows:

The four LED’s above [SCALE SETUP] occasionally went dark while paging through in Grid Edit mode to edit trigs. Each time this occurred there seemed to be accompanying glitches such as switching between Classic and Extended when I was very certain I hadn’t accidentally pressed the button, and losing the odd parameter lock setting or slide trig.

Again, none of those issues have been reproducible today, so maybe I pressed a few wrong buttons as I fumbled with my new machine, but I’ve been an octatrack user for about a year, so I’m not just blindly stabbing at buttons here. And I really can’t think of anything I could have done that would explain all four scale LED’s going dark.

Anyone help?

Solved, Simon answered my support ticket very quickly.

1 Like

It maybe helpful to others if you could document your findings here.

2 Likes

Well the “issue” with [FUNCTION] + [DOWN] failing to add a row was not an issue at all. It was just me not comprehending how Song Mode works. The operation I was performing only replicates rows that are already in the Song Editor. To add some first, you have to use the Bank and Trig keys to insert some patterns.

Simon correctly guessed that I had missed this step.

As for the other imagined glitches, they have been completely absent aside from my first few hours with the machine, so I think they were just a figment of my imagination. :blush:

2 Likes