[SOLVED] What is this feedback / noise coming out of... nowhere?

I have tried to search for this problem, unsuccessfully. I can just barely describe it with words.

I’m playing the Syntakt tweaking parameters, and from time to time a loop / feedback / noise starts to emerge slowly, like growing. If I press stop the music goes away but the noise is still there, seemingly following the tempo of the track (or so I believe), and it keeps evolving slowly, as if feeding itself.

I have tried to find where is this coming from, unsuccessfully. Pressing stop quickly multiple times makes it go away. Does anyone know what is this noise and how to prevent it?

What’s the feedback level on the delay? FX section or something sending to it?

5 Likes

You need to keep the delay feedback below 90 (12 o’clock on the dial) otherwise it will start to self oscillate.

Elektron delays are mental, anything over 100 requires care (it goes up to nearly 200, which is plain dangerous without a limiter, but very fun).

4 Likes

Haha yup it’s the delay feedback doing it. I learned my lesson about this a few days ago! I try not to go over 100 now lol

2 Likes

Thank you for your quick replies!

The sound will play until the end of the settings determined by the envelopes, but effects like Delay will continue to be audible until the delay repeats have faded out. Press [STOP] + [STOP] quickly to immediately stop playback of all tracks and get just a short fade out of the send effects.
(Manual, page 35)

Ok, yes, this double stop is what I do.

This is interesting. I don’t recall getting to this Delay page before ([FUNC] + [FLTR]). Maybe I did accidentally? Now that I have accessed it consciously for the first time, the feedback level looked at 12 o’clock. Maybe it was at 101 instead of 100. This seems to be what it takes to get that noisy feedback audible after a few minutes. Now I have been listening for a while at 100 and seems to be fine.

Thank you again!

2 Likes

I will add : If you press Stop only once, don’t go shit when the Feedback is past 100.

3 Likes

I have a hunch feeling there’s a story you’re not telling us lol.

3 Likes

I think it’s a good practice to use the delay bandwidth filter, btw…

1 Like