Some fun with oscilloscope and mirrors

Snatched this beauty on flea market and finally found a practical use for it.
I built a small plywood box and filled it with mirrors and this whole thing tightly attaches to the screen.

It’s part of the mixdown chain and connected straight to tape recorder.
Still looking for ways to make it more interesting but i think it looks kind of cool now.

Actual music + vis:

:love_you_gesture:

35 Likes

Not sure if you’ve tried any Lissajous patterns yet? Lots of good clean fun to be had!

2 Likes

Great job!!! Digging the visuals and the music!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I posted this before, but its awesome so check it, all the visuals are made from the audio into the x and y axis, although I assume some of it isn’t audible for some of the effects achieved.

He has tons of other videos too.

9 Likes

Nice little tune :+1:t2:

Fun project too. What about a 1 way mirror on the front to give it the endless tunnel effect?

1 Like

Thanks guys!

These are really cool. I guess some interesting effects can be achieved with Bitwig modulators. For some reason i assumed that audio wouldn’t really work but it looks like worth trying.

Not sure how to achieve it with mobile phone covering the most of the space on the front but some clever mirror placements could solve it.

My suggestion would be to get out that crystal ball from when you used to do divination at parties for extra cash back in the day. Crank up the brightness on the scope and you can make the whole room look underwater. Also, throw some chorus on your mix before hit hits the scope in XY mode and the detuning will make for better 3D type effects.

Oscilloscopemusic.com is another rabbit hole worth diving into.

4 Likes

and that thing is GORGEOUS, btw. What a find!

1 Like

Excellent all around! The song is so good!

1 Like

At last got the proper banana plugs and It turns out Bitwig grid is pretty good osc signal provider. This is fun.

Really good music!

1 Like

Thanks Garf!

Got further down the rabbit hole and came up with some interesting visualisations.
This one was performed with midi controller feeding the grid which in turn sends the signal to oscilloscope.

Cover your ears @ 2:15. Pretty strong feedback there :love_you_gesture:

1 Like