Some genre/artist inspo for learning

I’m still learning a lot in the composition and sequencing department, looking for some direction and inspiration.

Can I get some music recommendations for artists or even specific songs that have:

• Compositions in the form that the AK’s sequencer lends itself?
  • Somewhat trimmed back production which makes it easy for me to study and map out the song parts and how they interact?
  • Somewhat “safe” production that displays a style or subgenre’s core attributes?

Really just looking to clearly hear stuff that can directly translate to my exploring with the Analog Keys.

There are many, many possible answers to your request, but the examples that I think of first are the first Depeche Mode album and the two Yazoo albums: sparse arrangements of analogue monosynths over steady drum patterns.

Is that anything like what you were hoping for as a response?

2 Likes

I learned a lot about making songs by doing weekly little synthpop songs using just the analog four and an electribe for drums. Nothing fancy in terms of mixing or fx or modulation stuff though. You can check them out here (see “weekly songs”):

Maybe you’ll extract some knowledge you can apply for yourself. Just try and start making simple songs, they don’t have to be awesome.

5 Likes

Thanks you two! Yeah, a very ambiguous request I guess.

I’m just shifting my music production away from sample based, hip hop inspired beat making. So now I’ve got this great keyboard with sequencer and I don’t really know how to piece a track together and shift the sounds around to make things evolve and flow right.

Burn Cycle, I actually use your patch library for the AK, so thanks for the link!

Peter, yeah, Depeche Mode, right on.

I love the sound of “Cold Wave” music, the releases from the Minimal Wave label have been my main inspiration starting point with the AK. I also want to make stuff that will get listeners dancing, stuff with bare grooves where simplicity is what makes them shine.

2 Likes

I’m glad to be of help, RytmTrak :slight_smile: IMO:
When talking about synthpop music (depeche mode) or often (cold)wave, I find they get away with these bare kinda mix/composition because it’s contrasted with great vocals, perhaps even drenched in reverb to contrast those bare sounds. This is something to keep in mind, and changes the way you leave room in the song (note wise) for vocals/not vocals. It’s these sort of aware-nesses and how you deal with those in your own music, that will help you find your own ways of shaping songs with the tools you do have.

short answer: pop/wave: the instrumental is the easy part, you might need great vocals/lyrics :no_mouth:

2 Likes

That’s so true. I’ve never really had the confidence in my voice to try working out a vocal part before… but want to.

I’ve always thought I might be able to pull off something with some choppy sorta shifting. Like Beak’s track Mono or Ruth’s Plaroid. It’s amazing actually how space for the vocal part can start showing itself when I’m transposing up and down a scale with a basic sequence running. That was a big draw with the AK for me, transposing on a scale.

Anyways, thanks for the tips.

1 Like

The Knifes album Silent Shout was a huge inspiration for me when learning the Mnm. I’m sure it could be done quite similarly with AK.

1 Like

I liked that first link especially, (Beak - Mono), quite endearing with the video :slight_smile: Instrumentaly, it sounds much like something the A4 can do. Vocal wise, It goes well with the song, and that’s the main thing isn’t it?

You don’t have to do vocals right away. You could try imagining the vocals and translating that to lead melody. Try and make those parts a different patch than any other you have going on. Or try and make a duet, using 2 patches. Then you’re approaching songs like a dialogue between instruments. With responses and conclusions, being the structure and emotional heart of the song. Keep a feeling in your heart when writing these melodies, like you’re telling a story.

1 Like

I would recommend - The Cure - 17 Seconds - listen to that Album at least twice - and turn the Volume up. Even if its dark wave (and you dont like that style) - but good in my opinion when you want to learn how to make minimal music its an essential listen.

1 Like