Song Mode Issue - Trig gets triggered even if it's set to "1st"

Hey everyone,

I think I might have found a bug in the song mode: if I place a trigger on the 1st position with a longer sample which is longer than 16 bars, it gets triggered again when the pattern loops, even though the trigger is set to “1st”.

I’m using this a lot since some of the samples I use when playing live are longer than the length of the pattern (sometimes they go almost a minute) and I use the conditional trigs (with cond “1st”) to trigger them once in the beginning.

Is this behaviour normal/intended or am I doing something wrong here?

Just for information: when I play the pattern in normal (not in song) mode, it works as intended.

I don’t know the DT, but i doubt it’s a bug (as opposed to a quirk of how scale affects the counting) if you are changing the scale of the pattern to make your pattern

In any case, it might be an issue, but it would help to present the simplest steps to repeat from scratch

Is it the sample looping or is the trig itself which is being heard … it would need some details to fully work out what may be happening - the length of the sample should not be a factor here - you are interested in whether that trig is doing what you expect and whether what you expect is as per the intended implementation which is nuanced when it comes to how a pattern will count its repeats, this may well be more tricky given song mode can affect the lengths of a pattern etc

Hey, thanks for the fast reply.

No, the sample is not looping, is set to play in its entirety one time only (in AMP page, DEC is set to INF). The trig condition is set to “1st” so I would expect it to get triggered only once. As I said before, this doesn’t happen if I play the pattern in the “normal”, non-song mode - so I would expect the trig behaviour to be the same if I switch to song mode.

I just wanted to know if this behaviour was intended or not, to see if I have to use other gear to trigger long samples or not. If it will get corrected in a future firmware, I can find a compromise solution for my set until the next firmware update.

I am gonna jump in with a very similar issue that I am experiencing.

I have a trig-less trig on the first step of a pattern. It starts an LFO that modulates sample frequency. When I start the pattern without the song mode active the LFO is triggered and works as expected. However, when I play this pattern via song mode the trig-less trig does not get triggered.

At first I had that trig’s condition set to First and I thought that could be the reason why it’s not triggering, so I changed it to 1/8, but it did not really have any effect at all. Another observation I made is that this issue only happens when I play my entire song. When I am in song mode and I move the playhead to this particular pattern and play it from that position it works fine. But when I play my entire song and the playhead gets to that pattern the trig-less trig is not triggered.

I was looking for a place to report this bug but not sure where else to post this to be honest. Hope the moderators can spot this and pass to Elektron since I believe it’s a bug that needs to be fixed - i’ll be happy to provide more detailed explanation to Elektron even with a video recorded if that’s going to help troubleshoot it.

It’s a reasonable place (as the topic exists and is close) to post within, although the dedicated bugs thread will be viewed more, for future reference

Submit a support ticket through your account on Elektron.se if you wish Elektron to respond

If you can substitute sample frequency for something else (e.g. as ubiquitous as filter freq, but something that would be evident from a trigless trig) and explain the song structure (especially whether this pattern is used a few times) and settings (row lengths relative to pattern lengths) more people can have a look at it (no DT here)