Songmode using song slots as layered instruments

Hi everyone. This is my first post, and about one year after buying my digitakt and soaking up some knowledge from this great community. I’m grateful to you.

As I play multiple instruments and come from a more traditional music production background, it occurred to me that the digitakt (with songmode) now offers us producer types a cornucopia of possibility when multi-tracking to either an external device such as a Tascam model 24, MPC one, etc…or direct to your daw using sync to keep things in check.

What do I mean?
Each digitakt project contains the possibility of 16 song slots. Thats cool.

So…What if we consider those 16 song slots, not as songs, but rather the opportunity to create some lush synths using single cycle wave forms, or multilayered snares, claps, vocal bg’s, or whatever else you could think of…I’ve learned production techniques about multi-layering single cycle waveforms from @OscillatorSink and creating polyphonic pads using loopback technique from guys like @AldoVino and granulation and time stretching fx from @dialectrics Your vids are much appreciated guys.

So, with a production concept in mind using songmode:
Song slot = A single instrument as an 8 track layer. (plus 8 midi)

Expanding outward a bit further you can see how a project could simply contain a full set of 16 kits, whether they are drums, synth pads, etc.

Then, we can record these instruments as performances to your multitrack recorder (stereo out or overbridge ) right along side your other bed tracks (vocals, live musicians, etc).

Hope this sparks something for someone!

4 Likes