Songs that made you go 'hmmm' as a kid

For me it had to be the Kinks Lola which I sort of understood but sort of didn’t but as far as I remember found really compelling as it contained so much mystery and this sort of universal attraction / sexuality with piqued my imagination in a way no other song has since… it seems to contain so much of the complexities of life in a simple narrative and is so brilliant in that respect not even mentioning that it’s so fucking catchy.

1 Like

my friends and i used to think this song was super funny because it was about hanging out with a styrofoam cup

I can remember hearing my sister play this when it came out and thinking it was from another world but still melodic and intriguing

2 Likes

The Message

Very strange to hear “broken glass everywhere, people pissing on the stage” coming from my grandmother’s radio one afternoon. I guess the mainstream stations didn’t censor, or didn’t notice, the lyrics

1 Like

Now that you mention that… Slick Rick’s “don’t cry dry your eye…” was a rather surreal thing to hear on the radio as a kid and I probably went like 10 years or more before I managed to find out what song that was.

1 Like

:door:

11 Likes

Haha! I remember a kid at school saying “they played your music on the radio at the weekend” he meant The Show. Apparently the DJ afterwards said “N - n - n - n six minutes” referencing Paul Hardastle 19 - their closest point of reference to what they were hearing lol

1 Like

Before someone beats me to it this didn’t make me go ‘hmmm’ but rather ‘ump ump ump’.

4 Likes

Man… I haven’t heard that song in forever and have no idea how I ever heard it in the first place. Wasn’t really a radio song when I was growing up and 1985 was a long time to wait to release an anti-Vietnam war song.

Clivilles and Cole were ace!

I may be in a minority of one around here but that wouldn’t be anything new!

1 Like

I use to go to this bar in NYC called Toad Hall and the owner was a former music manager… I think his most successful act was the Fat Boys and once he told me his biggest regret was turning down representing C + C Music Factory.

I agree about them being ace although I would get annoyed when C + C came on MTV or the radio as it was like every 12 minutes but I would love if that was the sort of music coming out of commercial radio these days. Only thing is that it sucked that they didn’t actually use the singer in the make u sweat video.

1 Like

Took me many years before I worked out who and what I’d seen but this stuck with me

1 Like

Mtv made me go hmm.
Kraftwerk music non stop
Samantha Fox touch me
Motörhead killed by death
Run dmc with aerosmith,
Yes also na na na nineteen

4 Likes

That had a profound effect on me as a kid. So did this

2 Likes

Beat me to it!

2 Likes

I would have been 10 or 11 when my 17 year old brother came home with this cassette. This was the first time I recall thinking how strange some music sounded while being awesome and the awesomeness coming from its strangeness. Not to mention the lyrical content for a developing mind, ha!

1 Like