Songs with similar vibe as Underworld's Jumbo

Any recommendations? I just love that track to bits!!!

6 Likes

You may want to dig through the back-catalogue of Orbital, e.g. Lush 3-1

4 Likes

Way Out West

2 Likes

also, though Darren Emerson left the group 20 years ago, all of his solo remixes and DJ mixes are generally ace (though maybe a little on the harder side compared to Underworld tracks like Jumbo)

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendations, while I like all these tracks especially the Way Out West remix, they aren’t exactly what scratches the itch that Jumbo does. I guess a lot of that track has to due with the not over produced vocals with slightly rambling stream of consciousness lyrics. I find the track just so sympatico and uplifting without being a fist pumper or something…

1 Like

Maybe this, always my favourite version.

2 Likes

Yes, Born Slippery is my 2nd favorite Underworld track, will check out that mix thanks!

So… I’ve been researching and the only peer to Underworld’s Jumbo I’ve found is Underworld’s 8-Ball which I might like even more! Funny, when I do a general search on this a few threads on Reddit pop-up that pretty much ask the same question as mine! They managed to do something really unique without reinventing the wheel.

2 Likes

honestly, Underworld is a bit sui generis as far as techno “bands” go so probably hard to find other peers during the same time. it’s always been a more DJ/producer based genre, so as a DJ i tended to seek out particular labels that had the overall sound that i responded to. usually labels are more focused on niches within genres – though even on their original label Junior Boys Own, Underworld kind of stuck out as the more techno/trance side to the other artists’ deep/tribal house vibe

that said, Blue Amazon was another cracking progressive trance outfit from the same era as peak Underworld. impeccable production and similarly epic feels to all their tracks

3 Likes

That’s a nice track! It’s on “The Beach” soundtrack, which was a pretty pleasant late 90s “electronica-ish” movie soundtrack

3 Likes

Sui generis…that’s for sure. It’s nice that they were able to tap into some magic not accessible via taps on a DAW. I guess a lot of it comes down to their particular perspective. Anyways thanks for the suggestions and cheers!

I don’t mean to berate the point or flog my feelings over these songs, Jumbo and 8-ball, but holy shit, how can’t I? I’ve been a bit down in the mouth recently, well monthly really, and on myself, sad on time. I don’t know how or why I decided to revisit Underworld but praise be Jumbo I did! I’ve been listening to Jumbo nonstop for over a week and 8-ball goin’ on 3 days now, and these songs really slippery’d me out of some mental junk. Anyways, I don’t mean to wear out my welcome, this is something I would of posted on MW if I were allowed to, but I ain’t oh well! But… you know what? Like an hour ago I was driving, I was on the Jersey side of the Holland tunnel out here NYC/NJ (USA) and I was listening to 8-Ball, not full blasting it but getting there. Well, I was at this light about to turn left and this column of what looked like newly adorned police cadets streaming out of this undescript building in their uniform greys and carrying black duffle bags. I had to pause my turn to allow them to cross the intersection and decided to roll ALL my windows down and put 8-ball on full blast. Somehow, when they passed in front of my 2015 Scion xB they seemed to be insane with the music but I knew that they weren’t really, except, I shit you not, this one skinny white kid dropped his duffle for a min and went full raver. Holy shit, I started to cry. Well, I’m tapping this out on a tiny screen at a Portugese restaurant in Newark NJ and can’t really see wat I wrote. I hope some of this conveved somewhat of something that I felt and feel. Red wine n 7up baby! Cheers!

4 Likes

There’s some atonal techno tracks i can find that have a mix of spoken word and bloops, i’ll try to locate.

1 Like

Would love to hear it thanks!!!

Underworld - Secondhand
The synths have a similar vibe, but no vocals.

1 Like

That’s a great track thanks.

Am I crazy but does the vibe of this Destroyer song feel heavily influenced by Jumbo?

Maybe it’s the half sung/whispered vocals and chuggy drums.

1 Like

I just discovered this AMAZING new(?) Underworld track!

old track new mix

2 Likes

Who is she??

Yeah that original version as part of track 1 on their second album is divine

1 Like