Sonicware Liven Lofi 12

KORG MICROSAMPLR and SP-505. He is using the delay trick on the 505 as a psuedo mini looper for the microsamplr

EDIT//////

https://sp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18487&hilit=dakim+delay

This is an old thread on how to setup and do this trick!

4 Likes

Yeah, such a great performance. I had 505 and of course also tried the same thing. It’s a very simple and fun but also clever way of improvising. Brilliant.

This new device seems actually quite open to abuse it btw.

2 Likes

Looks like it could be a lot of fun. Workflow doesn’t look like it would be a good match for me, but it does make me wish they would add different bit rates to the SP404mkii.

1 Like

Haven’t seen this before. Amazed! :astonished:

1 Like

this workflow is especially fun on the kaoss pad 3/ KP3 as well, and one of the sole reasons I won’t get rid of mine

1 Like

so any of you guys got yours yet, how do you like it?

1 Like

the actual sampler i wish model sample was.

2 Likes

what features besides sampling from the Lofi-12 do you wish the model samples had?

in the never ending comparison of samplers that cannot really be compared would the mc-101 be the closest comparison to the lofi-12 in this non-comparable world, at least as far as workflow tedium levels combined with the form factor and layout?

Just for sampling and edition for the m:s

More effects

1 Like

more and better fx is always a good thing, but the Model sequencer is an effect in itself that I wouldn’t trade for the L-12

2 Likes

Yeah, i love my Model Samples but a few effects more would be the icing on the cake. I also think the M:S is easier to work with than the Lofi 12. It seems more straight forward and solid. But we’ll see. My Lofi 12 should be here today or tomorrow.

1 Like

Got mine yesterday. First beat sounds great but took half a day to learn everything. Pretty straight forward. When using soundlocks for different samples on one track it feels a bit buggy sometimes. And i wasn’t really realising that you can’t play more than one sample live at the same time. So you can’t punch in a beat. You can record a kick live and then add a snare and so on.

I still gotta get used to the workflow again. It’s nothing new because i worked with a lot of “prehistoric” samplers in my life. :slight_smile:

The fx are cool and exactly what i want. Not too many, just a few pararmeters to tweak, lofi sounding. It’s a great machine with a lot of limitations to spark creativity.
Definitely a few flaws in there. Importing samples works via midi but i couldn’t get it to work. Can you convert wav files to syx? I think not.

All in all i love it but wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who hasn’t worked with old gear that needs a lot of workarounds to get where you want. If you’re used to nowadays samplers this one might be too inconvenient for you.

8 Likes

Hi
Mine comes in the next few days. Thanks for the initial thoughts.

Conversion of Wav files to syx can be done with Cab -Lab 3 lite

Cab Lab 3 IR Mixer and Tools – Fractal Audio Systems

3 Likes

yeah I’m used to old samplers but some of the limitations are just unnecessary… at least right now the only way to get sounds into it is by sampling or if someone else saved their onboard samples to a sysex file, then you could install that… Glad you’re enjoying it and looking forward to your video of it on the tube

update: if conversion works that would be sweet

1 Like

they said the samples must be live recorded first

Here’s my first beat with it. I deleted all the stock samples and recorded everything fresh.
I used a short loop from my Reface CS, ran some drum hits through fx pedals and transient designer, added bass samples from the Minitaur and recorded a sax sample from a vinyl record. So what you’re hearing isn’t all internal fx. But i used a bit of reverb and a tiny amount of pitch lfo on some samples.

Btw i opened up a new FB group for the Lofi-12:

11 Likes

Joined your group. Any tips or anything would be great.

1 Like

Nothing new but useful tricks for samplers:

Pitch your samples up before sampling and then pitch down again in the sampler afterwards to have more sample time.

And if you want to let only one sample lag behind (not the whole track) you can record a bit of silence before your sample starts. Then you can asjust the start point and decide how much it should lag.

For adjusting the end point you can reverse the sample so that you don’t have to wait until the sample ends for faster editing.

Lofi-12 specific:
12 kHz sampling cuts some high frequencies. So you could sample kicks and snares at 12 kHz and record your hihats at 24 kHz to keep that high freq sizzle intact.

5 Likes