Sonicware SmplTrek

It’s fairly basic but is fantastically immediate and fast to lay something down.

2 Likes

Hey Guys, I’m experiencing some ground loop noise on at least three different headphones, the noise seems to be connected with the display, when you’re on different pages the sound gets more intense, the most noise is on the “main page” but gets more subtle when you get to the individual “track”-pages.

Faulty unit or anybody else experience the same?

Does it happen when using fresh batteries?

Yes, exactly, regular fresh AA-batteries (not rechargeable)!

Got to try battery next week. Got mine today and this weekend I’m busy.

So, I got mine today. First impression is pretty good. I don’t mind the small screen, it’s pretty easy to see what you are doing but the interface is a bit unpolished. Hardware seems solid. I would prefer less buttons and better and bigger knobs. The hardware design is nice, but with better interface I believe Sonicware could have made a machine with fewer buttons/knobs with better quality.

I don’t fullt understand the pianoroll/step sequencer. How can I edit easy and fast with the 1-16 and the velicotypads? I would like to see a function to hold down 1-16 to edit only that step and hear the change when the track is playing. As it is today 1-16 will put down a C note. A bit strange.

I will read the manual.

Hold FUNC key then press the notes/steps.

Agreed though, as per my main gripe above, the sequencer editing does leave a lot to be desired - you can’t move a note either in the time or pitch domain, only remove and add. It’s a shame because once you get used to the ‘automation’ editing (velocity, microtiming etc.) it’s actually quite a nice little design.

1 Like

Thanks! I don’t mind not to move notes if I could use the 1-16 and velocity pads to fast and edit notes, no need for shift function. Why not use Play + Rec to live record and Rec if I want to step sequence, similar to Elektron workflow?

What’s your thoughts of the new 1.1.72 firmware?

Tried with IKEA nimh battery 2450 mAh now and I can’t hear any ground noise in any menu. I use pretty cheap in-ear headphones.

2 Likes

Mine arrives today, gonna update it and try to make a song with nanoloop and maybe catch some vocals from my gf.

How do you use it with nanoloop?

The idea of ​​this concept is very good. A Sample player with storage media. All in a stylish toolbox that fits in the pocket of my parka. Only I hope that others will create the same concept but less complex…
Please Elektron, Build us a portable backup unit for transfer, and storage
:checkered_flag:

1 Like

SP-404? Or is that bigger than this?

It’s bigger. Have both.

That’s cool, I imagine it’s like a chunky Gameboy. love the the idea of a handheld device that feels like a console. Between this and the M8, it seems that idea is a reality for many producers. :slightly_smiling_face:

A handheld, hardware controller running a modified version of Koala would be cool. But then again it works just great on my phone.

anyone know whether one can record two global tracks at the same time? Say both a guitar/synth and vocals? would make this a really great workstation.

1 Like

I’ve been using it a bit every day and it’s not really very complicated, pretty simple actually once you get to grips with the operation.

1 Like

I have nanoloop connected with sync and audio and I grab loops on the smpltrek, then I can trigger them or arrange them.

1 Like