Sonicware SmplTrek

My friend just got his last night and can’t figure out sample import.

The manual states the following:

Yet the stock samples are 48kHz/32-bit mono.

If he follows the manual (48/16), he can preview the samples but can’t use them (file error). If he follows the stock samples (48/32), there’s no sound.

If he converts the stock samples to different sampling frequencies and bit depths, they work well. If he converts 3rd party samples to the same parameters, they don’t work.

Any ideas?

I thought I had similar problems importing and previewing when I first got mine, but never actually got a file error. What fixed it for me was:

• getting the latest firmware
  • turning the speaker on (I had managed to mute it :roll_eyes:🤦)
1 Like

Using AIMP to convert it to 48/16 helped. For some reason it doesn’t accept samples converted in Audacity.

Also it didn’t want to work with microSD cards, only with a full-size one.

This Kingston microSD has worked ok with mine so far

1 Like

Really nice update dropped today:

• now can have 4 drum kits
  • now can slice straight to a drum kit (this works really well!)
  • instrument track number increased
  • sample time increased

Nice to see them responding to some of the user/reviewer criticisms :+1:

4 Likes

These are actually pretty significant QoL improvements. I was worried some of these restrictions were gated on the chip performance and would never be addressed, glad that is not the case. More drum kits is especially huge for sample-heavy music.

1 Like

Definitely. You can go from zero to sliced sample drumkit in about 10 seconds - impressive!

Tip: I don’t know if they updated the manual for this but I found it by going ‘it would be really handy if I pressed this and this happened…’. When you get past the sample chop and to the drumkit screen, when you’re assigning samples to pads you can press the Play button to preview the current slice - handy if you want to skip some slices.

That’s dope. That was probably the biggest problem that I saw in the demos.

2 Likes

Hi! Is there any way to play a long stem on one of the tracks? It seems to be impossible to load a stem from the SD card to a global track (which would be logical).
I need to use a long (e.g. lasting 2 minutes) sample but can’t load it in the Global Track. How can I do it another way?

The Ext Src track has an option for that, oddly enough (manual p107-113). I haven’t tried it yet myself.

Func+Ext Src pad to get into its track settings, change source with encoder A.

Oh, thank you!!!
Well, looks like I fell asleep at the wrong page of the manual.

Tried to connect a small goosenneck microphone into smpltrek. Can’t get any sound from it. Tried different settings (func + ext src) and different inputs. Anyone else tried this?

The first time I plugged anything into mine, I had to adjust the gain, it was initially all the way at zero. The two knobs just below the speaker.

1 Like

Really looking forward to the updates being advertised on Facebook. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Sure wish they didn’t assume everyone has a Facebook account. Sonicware even has my email address and I haven’t heard anything yet.

1 Like
2 Likes

Firmware v1.4.99 is now live!

Excellent improvement of copy and paste on the home screen.

2 Likes

i sold my SmplTrek without ever using it once. =\

was just happy so support the kickstarter. simply don’t have time for another sampler at present

1 Like

Yep, another really good update from the Sonicware team. My initial frustrations with the machine at release are definitely being addressed. Not just me specifically but you know what i mean :rofl:

6 Likes

I have a weird issue: once a scene is over, a one shot sample from it is played one more time simultaneously with the next scene. What can cause this behavior?
It doesn’t occur in mixdowns, only when playing it.