Sonicware SmplTrek

I dunno, looks like a cross between a Korg guitar tuner/chord trainer and that cheap zoom chicklet look…
what would make someone go for this instead of a novation rhythm or model samples, and by someone I mean a target market outside of the target market portrayed in the demo video?

maybe if it had continuous record and P.locks… but

1 Like

Seems geared towards pop artists, like a little handheld GarageBand

1 Like

I would go for this instead of the Model:Samples because it actually samples, and also above the Novations because it has a nice oled screen.

I already have a lot of samplers including OT and 404 and I still somehow want this.
To me it looks like a fun little box to take outside.

And I don’t really care about demo video’s or target markets, I just look at what the device can do for me personally. If it samples and has lots of effects, I can do fun stuff with it.

2 Likes

The Model: Samples doesn’t have direct sampling or sample slicing. You also need to hook it up to a phone charger if you want to take it around with you.

The Circuit Rhythm can’t record or load samples longer than I want to say 32 seconds. It’s not class compliant so you can’t sample audio over USB. It also only takes a line level input.

Neither the Model: Samples nor the Circuit Rhythm can export tracks.

:laughing:
I still have the hiphop version of that Zoom RhythmTrak somewhere.
It was actually the first piece of music gear I ever bought.

2 Likes

yeah target markets and demo videos don’t make music for individuals within themselves, but they are tools for communication… I agree with you, I’d give it a try if it had plocks and continuous record, I’m going to ask them about their roadmap, at this point I don’t see the reason to go through double A battery hell for something like this… but I guess as it stands right now I’m not their target market

yeah I get that, and you know how I feel about the novation… but what they both can do that this cannot is a huge trade off for anyone who remotely is interested in the features that the model samples and the novation have… but I’m really talking about a different crowd I think… it’s cool and all but I don’t think comparable to the sp404, model samples, or novation rhythm… under the beat maker context… imho… this doesn’t mean that madlib won’t make his next album with it… I’m just sayin, I think the demo is probably a very accurate representation of where the developers saw this going

I mean the model samples don’t sample directly or export like this does but I wouldn’t trade what it does in between for the capability to sample and export like this does…imo that’s a lot to give up if you were trying to make the choice between the two

I guess but if it can record and sequence samples then you can make beats with it. I mean, I still use the Zoom Sampletrak from time to time.

1 Like

me too

and agreed it’s possible to make beats on anything.

but…

anyway, it’s a good early bird price… the regular price they are thinking of would have me contemplating the Roland mv-1

1 Like

I think you’re underestimating how rad and capable this thing is going to be. AA Battery hell is not a thing, put enveloop pros in there, long battery life and easy swaps. Anyway just sit tight and see where it goes, I think you’ll be surprised. Aren’t you a huge sampler fan anyway? I’m a huge fan of this brand, their products are rad and quirky and I love their enthusiasm and goofy promo videos lol.

2 Likes

I’m a fan of the Sonicware ELZ_1 and this company. Interested to see more details about the SmplTrek.

early musings…
definitely enough to keep an open mind, this thing got me to inadvertently compliment the novation rhythm so I’m not going to count it out until I see more that’s for sure.

1 Like

Really wish they made a simple video showing off its features rather than that cheesy commercial. Seems like it could pair well with the M8 so I’m intrigued.

1 Like

Looking deeper at the kickstart page it shows them drawing in notes within the sequencer… why can’t Roland do that with the SP-404 MKII? Lol. I like that device and it sounds good and it’s got a unique and fun workflow but the sequencer can be frustrating… “honoring the legacy” of their past products is a convenient excuse to not have to work harder.

It’s pretty crazy how all the innovation in music gear is mostly coming from small companies. I mean, makes sense they are more willing to think outside the box but when these cheap devices come out and offer more features and capability than far more expensive products it definitely makes you wonder.

Well, this is bummer news

5 Likes

Having preordered the M8 I figured I don’t need a SmplTrek. If I want to sample on the go I’ll just carry my small mic with me, or I could just connect the M8 to my phone with USB and use the phone mic.

yep

6 Likes

Forgot about this thing. I take it that it never released?

1 Like

the Beat Thangs version? i have that too and think it was also my first gear purchase ever!

edit: or was it Beat Kangs?

1 Like

It did! You can find some old Reverb listings. I followed this thing for years before I had any gear. Ended up with an OP-1.

1 Like