Sonicware SmplTrek

Yes! The BeatKangz version.
I found the thing in my studio, it’s called the Streetboxx SB-246.

I guess I wasn’t put off by awfull product names back then.

1 Like

I sorta did, they delivered a number of devices to their backers(after 3 to 5 years, the whole thing had become irrelevant).
Now it’s just an iOS and Android app:

i’m still not! lol. i’m going to dig mine out for fun and see what the OT can do to it

oh, and i just found one of those KDJ-One units on ebay for $695 from Japan. definitely not ordering it but thought i’d share

the street box is dope, lit, or as they’ll be saying tomorrow the zits, but their other drum machines… no so much

2 Likes

I disagree.
I have 2x Zoom AR-96 and 2x AR-48.
They’re the zits.

2 Likes

I wasn’t talking about their alien tech :grin:

I’ve got the street box and had the sampletrak, but never could get my head around the AR’s… do you use them much, what do they excel at?

1 Like

I mostly use the AR-48, because it has more controls and it’s a bit more immediate.
They both have a 32 step sequencer and the AR-96 can have 8 bar patterns.
Also, the AR-96 can record quantized 8 bar loops, take that Octatrack!

They also have some things other samplers don’t, like FM and portamento on samples, polyphonic playback, full range on the keyboard, scales, FX per track, song mode.
The 96 also has an Ableton style clip launcher which you can record into multiple arrangements.
Both have basic synth engines, including FM.

what’s the sample time on them?

Not sure, I think I calculated it to be around 128MB.
But sample time is per pattern, so it feels pretty unlimited.
Loading longer loops has the disadvantage that they don’t load quick enough to trigger on the first step. So you have to chop those into smaller pieces.

are they fast for you to edit samples precisely on ?

brr brr topic related stuff

haha omg they should put his face on the box…

strangely the look of the smpletrek is starting to mildly grow on me, I’m getting vibes of old soviet era submarine communication tech

1 Like

Nope, there’s no sample editing after you saved the sample, exactly like Digitakt.
And you can’t set start or end parameters. I think it does support loop points if you set those with editing software. It also has pitch and filter envelopes and an LFO per track.
Every channel is basically a synth engine where the oscillator can also be a sample.

The pianoroll on the SmplTrek actually reminds me of the one on the AR-96.

1 Like

… crossed with a Tiger Electronics handheld.

2 Likes

now I’m wishing it had clicky buttons

iirc, those buttons were mushy as hell

I would like to see some modulations, some more sample work, a dive into the sequencer automation, and an in-depth demo of the FX and how they work… preferably before the the initial 5 day term runs out

Why not just back it and then you can always cancel at any time? You don’t get charged for 45 days.

might have to do that :+1:

So it’s got comping which is pretty neat, that could lead to some weird and cool recordings if you comp a synth line while messing with knobs

6 Likes

Must… withstand… GAS…

Now where am I gonna get $300 :thinking:

2 Likes

A couple of the guys from Sonicware are going to be on Bboytech’s show this afternoon. It’s to discuss the Liven XFM but they’ll probably be talking about this, as well.

3 Likes