Sonicware SmplTrek

No, it wasn’t afaik, but they showed this at Musikmessen 2012:

on the site it looks like they said something about still making some changes recently, I wonder how everyone feels about the headphone jack being in the front center, that’s one of the things I don’t like about the mpc one?

The kdj App ist still available in the Playstore…it’s Kind of 90s, but still fun to play with…

They also announced that they can’t change the micro-usb to usb-c.

I guess these are the trade offs, hope they go in depth on the podcast

It’s kind of annoying how many people in the kickstarter are asking for it. I get it, it would be far more convenient and better but there’s still supply chain issues and cellphone companies are gonna be getting that part easier. I wish it was USB-C as well but people hounding for it just reads as annoying.

If they aren’t gonna do USB-C I’d rather do a USB-B port but oh well.

1 Like

That doesn’t surprise me, the creator of the M8 tracker also had to settle for USB micro-B.
He talked about the large phone manufacturers hogging all the USB-C sockets.

3 Likes

Hmm, you can easily buy USB C connectors on ali express, packs of them cheap.

It’s more than the connector though. I think there’s a chip that it needs to be able to charge the device. We could ask @trash80 .

1 Like

This actually sounds amazing.

I bet a lot of beatboxers will find this pretty useful

Seems like a nod to songwriter tools of a 1010 blackbox and bluebox in one box …. if focused on ACID Pro type functions this could be a very useful composition tool.

Resampling or direct cut n paste sections of global track slices to other tracks would be very handy in this regard

1 Like

well this is clearly the most important part of the podcast, so turn your shut up dial down, and turn your insights up… it’s very important… Sonicware wants to know how to do it right

you guys in their facebook group, tell them you want continuous record, etc… get your ideas in

and thank god for Ken Flux being himself :pray:

I’d like to see

sample Truncate
Continuous record/ skipback or look ahead recording
lazy chop
sample layering
User definable bar/measure resampling
easy bounce tracks to the sample editor
overdub loop recording
sampling through FX
convert to mono tracks

5 Likes

Well, I guess you and Ken Flux already covered everything I could think of, and then some.
Continuous recording is like skipback or look ahead recording right?
That would be my request.

One thing I really don’t like though is the USB socket being on the right side instead of the back.
So an angled USB cable in the box would be nice. Preferably one that sits flat to the side.

These are the different modes for the 10 sequencer tracks:

• Loop Track: Sequencer for looping sample
  • Shots Track: Sequencer for a single one-shot sample
  • Drum Track: Step sequencer for drums
  • Instrument Track: Piano roll type sequencer for musical instruments
  • MIDI Track: Piano roll type sequencer for external MIDI equipment
1 Like

8 hours left of the early bird offer. and they announced 3 new effects: Vinyl, Bit Crusher, and Cassette Tape.

1 Like

I do like this one. Came very close to jumping on the early bird. Then I realised I have an iPad Pro sitting that I just don’t fully utilise. Say Koala had been updated too. Not a solution for everyone of course and still very interested to see where SmplTrek goes. Hope it’sa well run Kickstarter through to delivery!

" We will be using the same effect algorithms that have been well received on our Backpackable Synth "ELZ_1”, and the effects have the following parameters:

Vinyl

Band Width, Noise, Flutter, Saturation

Bit Crusher

Balance, Bit Crush, Frequency, Fine

Cassette Tape

Cutoff, Noise, Flutter, Gain"

5 Likes

Yeah those effects definitely put it in SP-404 competitor territory. No modulations kinda sucks but the 404 doesn’t have modulations either, just gotta record audio of your twisting those knobs, this is seeming to follow the same principle except with a far more robust sequencer.

I said it before and I’ll say it again, kinda crazy how the little guys are putting more features and power in their devices and selling them at a lower price point then the bigger companies

2 Likes

I hope Sonicware distinguish themselves on this with smart n fast workflow and features rather than as a 404 knockoff. It’ll never catch that train. Best would be it defines its own thing. No doubt after the ELZ they are very aware of the super popular OP-1 and will think about the editable ‘tape’ feature that keeps it at the top of the buy lists year on year. But again, innovating their own approach could be what makes this as a real sketchpad of convenience.

Challenge is everyone wants different things from a box like this.

For me, plug in an instrument, play a progression to a loop. Maybe a few alt takes record too for some variation.
Tap in a few drums.
Play a bass bit.
Screech a vocal over the top.
Upload the lot to my PC to flesh it out.

2 Likes

The Liven 8bit Warps (which I’ve just moved on to another Elektronaut) is a really fun machine, full of great sounds. But it does also feel like a piece of very cheap plastic and the UI is nowhere near as good as the sounds (sometimes to the point of frustration). Having said that, if they’d put it in a nice box with better keys, a screen and a slightly less confusing interface it would probably have cost 2-3x as much.

This probably bodes well for the SmplTrek at least in terms of musical bangs for buck. But I would worry slightly about attention to detail and usability, which isn’t where Sonicware scores highest. @ghostly606 how are you getting on with 8bit Warps?