Sonicware SmplTrek

Makes even more sense then that they have a really clear singular use case in mind… maybe their promo video is just that. Composition on the fly with enough features cleverly implemented.

If they try to be all things to all users, they’ll never match every other groove/beatbox, sampler, multi track recorder.

lets hope not!

1 Like

I agree that it sounds great and also that the emphasis is on fun! I actually really like the UI, my eyesight is crap so prefer a simple 3 character display to a screen. My only criticism would be around the use of shift and function buttons which can be a little confusing but I’m sure muscle memory will kick in. I never record and only jam on gear for fun, and for that the 8bit Warps is perfect for me, I even like the keys! I’ve made more music since getting it than I have for months. In fact, looking to score an XFM now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The build quality could be better, sure, but not sure you can expect more for the price. And you’re less likely to worry about scuffs and scrapes.

Bringing this back on topic, I actually think the 8bit Warps is a really well thought out piece of gear and have high hopes for the Smpltrek.

2 Likes

Was able to hold out for about 24 hrs before giving in and backing. At full retail price it is going to be competing with the 404 MK2 and the Circuit Rhythm at least. The features advertised suggest it will be comparable. It has it’s own unique form factor which will be interesting too. All this potential at the super early bird price made it too hard to say no.

If they can implement the features in a simple workflow that will do me. I’m not looking for an MPC or SP clone.

That said, I know this isn’t listed, but being able to export the Tracks as stems would be the icing on the cake :crossed_fingers:

Another back here! I’d definitely love to see stems export.

1 Like

Another backer here. This looks incredibly powerful and huge fun in a small portable package!

1 Like
2 Likes

God their marketing and designs are so bizar. It’s like they are still stuck in 1999. Can’t wait to see their next promo with bullet time vfx.

3 Likes

That must be the most boring performance I’ve ever seen.
And it doesn’t explain anything about the working of the loops tracks.

1 Like

on the upside decent looking screen. wonder how strong the CPU is and how ingenious the coders will be in creating a good workflow. only 100 early birds left at the cheapest price - nearly $400k raised on a 37k target.

2 Likes

At least we know now that every channel has a separate send and pan control.

I hope they make the selected mode al lot clearer though, just inverting the C for send isn’t enough.
If the level graphics is the same as the send graphics, mistakes are easily made.

Seeing all these graphics makes me think they should have gone for 16 channels.
It looks awkward and they can’t have a step sequencer on the pads because of it.

Resample

Any selected track can be re-recorded internally to a track and then saved as a sample file. Effects applied to each track can be recorded into the new sample file. The Resample function allows multiple tracks to be selected, including Instrument Tracks and/or Drum Tracks.

Freeze Track

Each Instrument Track or Drum Track can be converted to an audio file. This is useful for making more tracks available for Instrument Tracks and Drum Tracks, which are limited to a total of 4 tracks at a time. The Freeze Track can be turned off to restore the original state.

Stem Export

Any selected tracks can be exported as separate Stem audio files for each track. This makes it possible to edit music created with SmplTrek on another system, such as DAWs.

Mixdown

You can export your music as a 2-channel stereo mix file.

*All audio files are 48kHz - 16bit WAV format. Can be imported 48kHz / 44.1kHz - 24bit and 44.1kHz - 16bit WAV files. (Those files will be converted to 48kHz - 16bit automatically.)

9 Likes

Anyone looking to mount this using the rear camera style 1/4" screw method? I’m keen on a clamp type holder for this puppy.

Camera style screws are a bit odd for devices like this.
I had to buy a special camera screw for my iConnectMIDI4+ just to rack mount it.

Usually I put grooveboxes and controllers on simple laptop stands.
But for this device, maybe a camera stand with a quick release plate could be a handy solution.

1 Like

Yeah, I can see it having its pros and cons, I wanted to elevate it above my desk however I can see how cable mgmt and things like that might get a bit heavy up high.

having missed out on some killer projects in the recent past, i decided to go ahead and get this amazing bastard

tenor

1 Like

Some great updates

4 Likes

Now with Filter per channel:

Read here:

1 Like

okay, i know this is some i’m-twelve-and-this-is-funny stuff but i couldn’t help but chuckle a bit.

8 Likes

50 units for sale from Dec