Sonos playback

Hi,
New Model: Cycles user here. My first sequence based synth and I’m surprised how easy it is to get into. At work I have a Sonos: Play 1 wireless speaker. I would love to be able to play at my store and practice while working, however I haven’t been able to figure out if it is possible to hook up incoming usb audio signal to the wireless playback system? I know the delay would be around 70ms at least but it doesn’t matter on rudimentary playing. Any ideas?

Ok for anyone curious. Heres how I managed to get the sound out but with a mighty 4 second delay: stream what you hear installed, record incoming audio to audacity, enable the stream. Good for background ambience, impossible to do realtime subtlety

1 Like

The only way to get the USB audio out of the M:C and transmitted wirelessly to the Sonos: Play 1 would be to connect the M:C to a computer, phone or tablet, play the audio via USB into it, and then set that device to output it’s audio via WiFI to the Play 1. EDIT: It seems this is the solution you discovered yourself above.

Unfortunately, the Play 1 doesn’t have Bluetooth. If it did, you could use an inexpensive audio/bluetooth adapter plugged into the headphone socket of the M:C.

And unfortunately the Play 1 doesn’t have an audio in jack, otherwise you could connect a bluetooth receiver.

The Play 1 uses Wifi, but audio/wifi transmitters seem to be less common. So less common that the only one I can find is from a company called CloviFi that have gone out of business.

If you’re set on wirelessly transmitting your M:C output without a computer, unfortunately the Play 1 does not seem to be the ideal speaker. You’d be much better off with a speaker that supports Bluetooth and one of these:

1 Like

I would have liked to have done this too, but laziness and other easier options got the better of me.
The SONOS Play 5 and Connect have line ins, but that doesn’t help you.

I’m currently going into one of these with some of my other toys: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marshall-MS2-Micro-Amp-Black/dp/B000BVS7WQ

In your situation, I’d probably just use headphones while learning. Once I had a complete track, I’d bounce it to an audio file and use the Sonos as one of the tests of how it sounds on a consumer system.

Even with line ins on the Play 5, Sonos has built in latency. I’ve tried this set up as a temporary solution and it was impossible for jamming/playing live. A shame as they are great sounding speakers.

I’ve never tried that on my Play 5, but it does look like Sonos isn’t a good option as a live monitor.

1 Like