SOPHIE's sound design (Digitone or Monomachine?)

Perhaps it was a set in the works. Perhaps me not having a mk2 makes a difference. not sure, but it isnt anything im interested in.

1 Like

The winner of the best question award :1st_place_medal:

3 Likes

I could never figure out how to do this…monomachine baffle my brain function.

The idea that buying a monomachine to do the other worldly and incredibly deep and learned Sophie style of sound design is somehow worthy of mocking and derision, but buying thousands of dollars in any other synths to make bog standard techno is not, is about as ridiculous as it gets (and the gear world is not short on absurdity)

10 Likes

Slides are great, I think the A4 has them also. You just gotta remember which parameters you want to slide from one trig to another and click in/p lock them on both trigs.

1 Like

I’ve never use a Monomachine, I love slide trigs on the Octatrack. One of the things I love is when I forget I have certain p-locks and I add slide trigs with the goal of sliding other parameters, but then I end up with all sorts of surprise slides on forgotten p-locks. Or if I accidentally place a slide trig on the wrong trig… Basically side trigs are often awesome when used either intentionally or accidentally.

Until reading this thread I don’t think I was aware the A4 had slides. I don’t like to complain about features a synth doesn’t have, but if the Digitone had slide trigs that would be badass.

2 Likes

There are a few instances of people questioning why you would want to make those sounds at all, which is stupid, but I do think it is a little sad how a lot of people seem to pay the extortionate used prices for Monomachines just to emulate sounds that had already been made on them a decade ago. There are cheaper and more interesting paths to that destination.

3 Likes

I know what you mean, I personally won’t shell out for a mono and appreciate the challenge of designing those sounds on any device where it is possible. I just think that the practice of using the original device for copying, whether its a guitar rig or a groovebox, gets undue criticism, when in reality it represents an overall small group of people and at least demonstrates a desire of those people to learn, which I respect. That said, I take more issue with elitists who insist you can only get the results with the expensive original device, so I feel strongly about the point you are making too

2 Likes

Heres my probably unpopular opinion.

I dont get it. Never heard of Sophie so listened to a few tracks, cant see what all the fuss is about. Hyper produced rubbery plastic noises and silly vocals over a pop beat?

Am I old now?

3 Likes

I think its cool that she made all those sounds from scratch and used such an adventurous sound palette in pop productions

1 Like

Exactly. Hyperpop.

4 Likes

Hype… er… pop?

2 Likes

Yeah, stuttering effect yeah.

1 Like

Have heard those kinds of sounds in the aussie bass music scene several years back now. Never liked it then either. All that Mr Bill, Black Samurai et al Ableton stuff.

1 Like

Maybe not so unpopular. I hadn’t heard of her either, but I’ve been following this thread the past couple of days and I’m liking the talks about sound design on the Monomachine. I even learned that the Analog 4 has slide trigs!

2 Likes

Sorry I cannot answer you right now, I have to take care of my daughter. At 1, she’s the best producer I’ve ever heard. Those fart sounds… very organic…

2 Likes

So does octatrack. Very cool. Sadly not for the midi sequencer though. Damn shame.

1 Like

I mean, you can make anything great sound shit if you describe it like that (Basic Channel is just two guys fiddling with a space echo and a 909 for 15 minutes, Steely Dan is just pithy lyrics over sterile jazz rock, etc) but I do think that is the appeal for most fans. Elastic, vivid sound design within a pop music context rather than weird insular IDM or awful overcooked 2nd gen dubstep. She was genuinely really great when I saw her live too, DJed the vocal stems of her tracks over intense pneumatic 170 bpm Monomachine patterns.

12 Likes

Cool beans, theres about 10-13 kits on there that work on the mk1. This whole thing was probably made on a mk2 tho so there’s some blank stuff. Thanks for posting.

Fun stuff happening with the gnd noise machine and sid 6581.

1 Like

And the Analog Rytm too. I use slide trigs as a second lfo which works great on DVCO basslines.

Seemingly not mentioned in this thread but you can get relatively close using the Analog 4.

Thank you very much. I have to try that out.

1 Like