Soundtracks recommendation (Films and Artists)

Anything by Thomas Newman, really. No one captures the beauty in melancholia quite like him, as far as scoring goes.

3 Likes

Usually I’d be all foam mouthed about a certain John Carpenter -soundtrack (or basically any of them), but last week I bought the Flying Lotus soundtrack for Netflix anime Yasuke and I’ve been listening to it A LOT.

If people ask me who will be remembered from the 2010-2020s as a groundbreaking musician and the sound of a generation, four times out of five my answer would be Flying Lotus. He’s the shit.

5 Likes

another i-forgot correction : this Passion album is also right up there, i’d probably give Birdy a shout, but it’s less consistent than this

3 Likes

this channel has loads on, some things i’d never dreamt of hearing but was so happy i did.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC99bvaMCisBZ77hrdrSMC0Q

1 Like

Lost In Translation by Sofia Coppola is one of my favorite movies of all time, and that has a lot to do with the soundtrack.

1 Like

I mean @PeterHanes nailed it, that prior thread says it all IMO. My personal soundtrack BIG GUNS are the obvious ones:

Cliff Martinez
Ludwig Göransson
Johann Johannnnnnnnnnnnnson (I think I got all the "n"s)
Clint Mansel
Yes, Hans Zimmer
Max Richter
Mica Levi
Enio Morricone
EDIT:
atticus finch & trent reznor
Nicholas britell
Steven Price

1 Like

Something with a fair bit more electronics in it, it was a commercially released/projected film (first film i saw upon release in the Glasgow Film Theatre back in '86 before subsequently catching Laurie Anderson’s work many times), more a staged/finessed concert capture (like Stop Making Sense) but a great album in its own right

Uncomfortable that this is the film in its entirety, but there are even older ones on YT that haven’t been pulled by Warner Bros … I love her raw Prophet 5 tones and her Max Mathews ‘violin’ (the Max from Max/MSP) … a couple of pioneers along with Belew on Guitar

and for good measure …

2 Likes
4 Likes

2 Likes

Another Goblin classic

3 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

This has got to be my favorite soundtrack of all time.

3 Likes

A fantastic film score that gets very little recognition, probably because the movie is pretty awful, is The Crow: City of Angels.

Graeme Revell is credited, but a lot of the atmosphere was provided by Lustmord.

Somewhat tenuous (rearranged soundtrack) … disco-funk-Imperial-March … my Star Wars crazy cousin had this vinyl and really i loved it, took a bit of googling to find again

This Electric Youth score never made the movie due to creative differences with the film producers, I believe. They released it as an album anyway, and it’s pretty awesome!

2 Likes
1 Like

oh that one’s easy!
Disasterpeace’s OST for Hyperlight Drifter game

1 Like