Source Audio Atlas Compressor pedal (stereo + so much under the hood)

I guess with a https://bela.io/ we could use the stereo IO for, well, the main audio, and the lower quality 16-bit analog audio inputs for sidechain.

Nice thing about the owl is there’s no need to start building hardware to house a board, add iO connectors and knobs etc.

Hah, the more I read this thread with all the module suggestions for a stereo comp, the more I keep flicking back to look at the Stimming device. Not that I’m ever going to buy one, but bloody hell, it’s absolutely addressing a need.

I’d love to wake up tomorrow and find Elektron has released the long-speculated mixer with these functions.

1 Like

An fx loop type sc like the FMR’s could be internal if all you need is a high pass filter. For a key type sc for sending for example just a kick there would of course need to be another input.

1 Like

The AR’s compressor sc is internal.

Messor seems pretty ideal!

About $460 after Strymon preamp (used) and Pod34X with PSU (used), and half the Size of a Warm Bus Comp (I wish they made that in a half rack.)

2 Likes

There’s a Messor for sale on NYC Craigslist ($185 plus shipping) if you’re interested.

1 Like

so I ended up trading the Atlas for an RNLA+RNC combo

Happy with the trade and the RNLA does what I need for sure, using a 200hz inline HP in the side chain loop. (as a matter of fact, it’s pretty ideal when combined with using the analog VCA inverted EG on the Syntakt as a ducker)

But Source Audio did get back to me, basically saying that the smaller pedal line is optimized for guitar and bass, and the high freq dip is by design, and exists “to reduce the potential for out of band converter noise to be demodulated into the audio spectrum when the pedal is followed by something like a fuzz pedal”. This doesn’t exist on their larger pedals, FYI.

But they think synth applications are interesting and they’re going to dive into the firmware and have a look, saying that they “could add some additional filtering in the processor to flatten things out”.

So for anyone looking for an Atlas… stay tuned. Also @Juniper_Steels now owns my old unit so point your questions his way, hehe.

6 Likes

Hehe indeed! I’m in no way qualified to answer anything beyond basic questions regarding compression… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Have had a couple back and forth emails with SA. They’re working on this. So when they’ve made the necessary firmware update, I plan to buy an Atlas again. The lookahead really is clutch for fast attack applications, as I’ve noticed when using my RNLA for fast attack limiting.

6 Likes

Good news!

1 Like

I don’t use mine nearly as much as I probably should (maybe i should sell it), but I just checked…

The Beebo has a Stereo Compress module, that is described as RMS Downward Compressor with Auto Markup. The module contains controls for Ratio, Release Time, Attack Time, Input Gain, Threshold, and a Hold function.

Hopefully that info can help someone determine if it would work for them.

In terms of compact stereo compressor modules, I am quite happy with WMD’s MSCL, even though it lacks in terms of the OP’s requirement of forward compression.

2 Likes

Messor is now in stock at Perfect Circuit

But I’m pretty settled on lookahead and waiting for SA’s firmware update.

I was going to say that it would make so much sense for SA to tweak the dsp a little bit and get more interested customers . The Atlas has been on my radar. Very cool.

Yea, I’m super hopeful because lookahead makes *such a difference in attack characteristics.

Because of this I really prefer software compression. It’s kind of ruined hardware compression for me.

Affordable stereo hardware comp with HPF SC and lookahead would be a dream come true. It’s amazing what difference 1.5ms of lookahead makes with modern processing. Especially for dance music.

2 Likes

Well I’m getting less impatient about the update.

Did something I hadn’t fully explored this morning:
Used a chain comprised of OT compressor into Heat into Blackhole pedal. This is my usual chain for OT tunes. Turns out it’s working well for Syntakt+TR6S.

I use the Analog Heat with the envelope follower set to reduce drive amount on kicks, and because of this, I can go with a not entirely fast attack setting on the OT compressor. Not surprisingly, this is giving me exactly the kind of finished smart limiter sound I want for Syntakt processing.

So if and when SA push out the update, I’ll give it another look. But I’ve reworked some Parts on my OT to accommodate the Syntakt and TR6S. And yes I am still using the Syntakt drive and it’s own envelope follower. Lots of dynamics under lots of control. No wonder it sounds so good :thup: :heat: :sweat_smile:

Got an email from SA

There is an updated version of Neuro Desktop on the website (0.8.57) that includes firmware 1.11 for the Atlas. Once updated, there will be a new hardware option for “frequency response extension to 20kHz”

FYI, you can access the hardware options in neuro desktop by clicking the “gear” icon on the Atlas in the connections pane.

Any chance you can try this out and report back?

Nifty that it’s an option, for backward compatibility. Should make comparing between the old limited HF response easy.

3 Likes

Anyone went down this route after the update? I’m tempted to try but also a little skeptical given that SA apparently didn’t consider mixing applications in the development, just guitar and bass.

1 Like

I just noticed this. The iOS app doesn’t have this checkbox from what I can see.

1 Like

I downloaded the desktop version of Neuro…the frequency extension check box is checked by default it seems. Weird it’s not in the iOS app. ¯_(ツ)_/¯