SP404 mk2 production tips/tricks/problem solving/bugs

but when a sound is looping and you record or resample, with record it stops everything at the start, and resample stops everything when it finishes.

Or am I doing something dumb?

Yo, question time: letā€™s say I have a deep bassline (think big subbass with light fuzzy overtones) and a drumbreakā€¦ How would I get the infamous SP pseudo ducking on the bassline? Iā€™ve tried compressing the drums and the bassline togetherā€¦ If the bassline is too high, the comp almost mutes the drums during the bass hits. If itā€™s too low, I can feel it pumping in the back but itā€™s drenched in drum tails / residual noises from the break.

Edit: didnā€™t try it butā€¦ Drums high in the mix, bass low, overcompression till pumping, then cue the drums to resample only the bass pumping? Not sure it would still pump in the resample, thoā€¦

Hi, has anyone had the following problem and is there a solution: I needed a 9 bar loop (which is not contemplated in the sp 404 mk2 as far as IĀ“ve been able to discover, so I had to record an 8 bar pattern and a 1 bar pattern and then create a pattern chain and have them loop, one after the other). ThatĀ“s fine, the thing is, sometimes, that 1 bar loop doesnĀ“t work well, and it just plays an empty bar. This is veeeerryyy frustrating. Is it a bug, or is it just that 1 bar loops make it go crazy or something???

What firmware are you on? The old version only let you set length powers of 2. But as of 2.0 you should be able to any number between 1ā€“64 bars.

Great! IĀ“ll try that. I see there is a 2.01 version . That would include the improvements in the 2.0 version as well, correct?

Hi, I have been using a Faderfox UC 4 to edit effects on the SP404mk2. I can hear the effects change by turning effects on and off, changing the effect itself and changing the parameters. But there is no visual feedback on the 404 and the screens do not display the current status.

Has anyone else tried this and I have made a mistake or is this a bug/undocumented feature?

Would it make any difference if you hold remain and select the desired efx? This keeps the parameters screen static.

Good idea-that only seems to work if I select the effect on the SP404 that I programmed in using midi.

Ok-here is an answer in case anyone else looks here:

I used my ipad to send midi data and got the same result. Ie the midi ccs work but there is no feedback.

I found a way to make things work however.

You can use the remain+mfx to lock to the mfx parameter screen. Then as you change the fx and the fx parameters, this screen updates. Note you still need to use the enter knob to show the second row of parameters. The screen disappears if you turn an FX off or move to one of the FX1-5 slots.

Ideally the screen would change to the FX parameter screen (Bus 1 or Bus 2) when midi FX changes are received without user input (other than changing the midi controller itself).

1 Like

Hey Guys, just started using my unit, no matter what I do other than lifting pad gain to 127 my pads never hit 127 velocity no matter how hard I pound them. When I hit pad velocity off they trigger nice and loud. Has anyone else experienced this? Problem with lifting gain in pad settings to 127 is it seems to create a ghost sound of metronome when recording samples.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Firmware 2.1 sampling through rear input

1 Like

I have a MASSIVE beef with the file conversion process needed to play samples. DJ mode is the #1 reason I got this machine, and I have a long playlist which together takes up about 5bg on my computer. Even though my SP says it has 15gb-ish free, when I go through the process of dragging and dropping these tracks into pads with the app, the storage fills up wayyyyy sooner than expected. Maybe there is something I am not getting here, but it just seems like the bit-depth conversion process that occurs so files can play on the machine makes each file massive and therefore really limits the storage capacity. I have filled the machine completely with about 1.5 projects filled with dance tracks. And again, the total storage space these take up on my computer is 5gb and ostensibly there is plenty of room on the SP. That is ridiculous!

This doesnā€™t really mean anything, on its own. Takes up 5Gb as MP3s? Takes up 5Gb as 96kHz, 24bit PCM audio?

So far as I know, the 404 app converts everything to stereo, 48kHz, 16bit wavs. If it has 15Gb of space free, punching that all in to https://www.sounddevices.com/audio-recording-calculator/ shows we should expect it to hold ~21 hours of audio. Is that what youā€™re seeing?

1 Like

hello i have a problem too with SP as FX Processor with a DAW.I can hear the music his came from daw (using ext source) but the fx cant work in my daw.

1 Like

good thread ! been having fun trying out some new things i learned here :slight_smile:

however ive been curious about something that i feel yall might have the answer to. i was wondering if there is any way to save the bpm in the metadata or whatever of an actual source wav file when prepping samples. like so if i import a sample from my sdcard, it will load onto the 404mk2 with the correct bpm already assigned it. as of now i just include tempo in the name of the sample and it works well enough. but if there were a way to do that, certainly couldnt hurt ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ .

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure that isnā€™t an option, but Iā€™d love to be wrong

1 Like

I dont know what has happened but I can not use the Start End button anymore on my sp404 mk2, not sure if its the unit stopped working, ive updated with the version 3.0 and everything was working fine but as ive learned more reading the manual the start end button randomly stopped working. I had been editting the loop lengths previously and have not done any system changes that would make it randomly stop working. thanks

Make sure youā€™re not in ā€˜liveā€™ mode. It can be enabled/disabled holding shift + remain for 3 seconds

1 Like

Iā€™ve checked that a few times, really feeling like the button quit or I turned it off somewhere in settings. I dont see how its possible ive been through the manual a few times now

Does shift+start/end opens up the chop sceeen?
If not then it sounds like a button failure

1 Like