Speech/spoken audio files over music

Do some of you have experience using snippets of films of people speaking or any kind of discourse over music?
If yes, do you rip it from youtube directly or what’s your technique? Also, is it under copyright infringement as is sampling a certain portion of a song?

I was thinking I would like to integrate some David Attenborough voice over one of my songs and was wondering how to do it.

1 Like

Funny just snatched a french interview from some 60s artflick. I mostly use weird stuff thats not many people would recognize. I use audicity on win and audiohijack on mac. Run the source from anywhere and record it.

2 Likes

I either ask my significant other to read stuff into a mic (they have an amazing voice), or search for creative commoms/public domain.

The Library of Congress has a bunch of the latter.

Otherwise I just record off the radio and mangle it beyond recognition

3 Likes

uhh i do love some French interviews. Having lived in France for a while and having a friend that often used french recordings in his creations always gave a wonderful touch

Good hint on the Library of Congress. I guess I would have to go under the tab “Free to use and reuse” to find “legal” material?

Recording and mangling beyond recognition is also great. And kudos for the amazing voice of your significant other. that’s also inspiring I can imagine :slight_smile:

1 Like

such a coincidence, we are about to do this very thing for a project I have been tasked to do
it’s a paragraph from a play by Miller and I need to have it in audio

1 Like

Librivox is cool - public domain audiobooks of public domain texts.

I used to use YouTube rippers but the one I had quit working on me. Needed to grab a sample for an upcoming project so I used the cheap ‘n’ cheerful method of playing the video while recording from the laptop mic. Pristine audio quality wasn’t the goal though. :smile:

Let’s celebrate that 1927 is now in the public domain in the United States

2 Likes

Not often, but sometimes. If you find it in better format somewhere else, that you be fine. But since this is mostly not the case YT and clipgrab, an internal mixer like loopback or audycity is what I used.
Do you know bbc rewind library? That not for the Attenborough, but maybe for some other project.
I put some spoken words from stimmings review of the m:c in a song I played on the m:c. In case you’re interested: Phis - You don't have to study Jazz - YouTube

Their non-English accent also makes things a lot more interesting.

1 Like

I used to use the various Youtube-to-.Wav converter sites that you can find on Google but they’re riddled with spy/adware and the files are always lossy as hell, so they’re probably best avoided.

For old TV shows, commercials, and movie clips on YouTube, I use the headphone out on my laptop and record that into my Tascam, which saves the file as a .WAV. Then I fine-tune in Reaper (or your DAW of choice of course).

I suppose that adds an unnecessary layer of A/D conversion, but it’s never bugged me. The way people hear and perceive spoken words involves a lot of mental filling-in of gaps, so the audio quality really isn’t as important as when you’re ripping music.

It’s also easy to hook the RCA output of your TV directly into your audio interface and chop stuff up in a DAW. Home audio is so fancy now that most TVs have a decent stereo output on them, not like the old days where you had to hold a mic up to the tiny speaker on the front.

That’s how I record various classic movie channels on cable—as protrusion said, in the US anything pre 1927 is fair game. Plus, lot of old b-movies have fuzzy or disputed ownership.

Also . . . I doubt it’s kosher, legally speaking, but my go-to source for spoken word samples since I started has been the Poetry Foundation, which is run by Poetry magazine. They’re a goldmine.

They focus mostly on the American cannon, but it’s a (fairly searchable) collection of some of the our greatest poets reading their work, and it goes back almost 100 years. And the older recordings are nice and crunchy. I use it all the time for inspiration.

I based this sketch on “The Rain,” by Robert Creeley of the Black Mountain poets:

This one uses a sample from Galway Kinnell’s “The Dead Shall Be Raised Incorruptible,” as well as some pieces from another Creeley poem:

Sorry, I’ll stop hijacking the thread with my cheesy music now!

1 Like