Splitter for live streaming?

I want to start live-streaming performances from my phone, I have the lightning to TRRS dingle and a mic/phones splitter cable.

Since my stereo out from the AR goes to the PA, I’m looking for a way to split off a mono signal to the mic in of the phone.

Is this the right way to go about it? Do I maybe need to use the headphone port of the AR? Is this even feasible?

Tnx for any advice you might have

Is your AR a MKI or MKII? If the latter, it has a class compliant sound card in it. Can you connect to your phone via USB as a sound device?

I could be wrong but I think only the MKII AR and A4 got class compliant sound in their last updates.

it’s a mk2, that’s a clever idea, thanks! I’m still interested in hearing pure audio solutions though, the AR2 is not always the last device in the chain

If you’re using a mixer an AUX send would be your most flexible solution as you can balance levels separately from your main outs.

1 Like

Maybe just use headphone port, it’s extra stereo main out, so you should be happy.

1 Like

the mixer is the one from the PA, which is in the back of the room, while the phone doing the streaming is on stage :confused: so i’d need to split before it goes into the PA

Maybe a small line mixer with aux sends or a booth out?

Something like the Mackie Mix5. It’s dirt cheap:

What distance are we talking here? If it’s only a few meters using a longer audio cable from the mixer to the stage shouldnt be a problem. But this way you can‘t adjust anything on the fly unless you have someone operating the mixer… would a small submixer be an option? Ideally one that also functions as a USB soundcard which you could hook up directly to your phone.

Definitely an option! Checked out the Mackie above here but that one doesn’t have USB. It would need to have a separate power coz it’s gonna be tough powering it from a phone

PA guy tells running a cable back isn’t an option

The venue doesn’t have a stagebox with sends and returns on stage? That’s usually standard, otherwise he would have to use long cables for your setup anyway and then a third one for AUX sends wouldn’t make any difference…

1 Like

I’ll check again, don’t have a ton of experience yet

There is also this box: Palmer PLS-02 specifically for splitting balanced line signals (it also exists for mic and instrument level signals). Quite expensive, tough… (177 EUR on Thomann: Palmer PLS-02 Line Splitter – Thomann UK).

1 Like

after doing some more testing, this doesn’t seem to work… iphone refuses to pick up the mic signal and keeps using the builtin mic

So i have a pretty dirty hack, sound quality isn’t optimal but good enough for now: Using a RockSmith Real Tone cable plugged into the headphone jack. It’s a USB to 1/4 Jack cable to be used with the game RockSmith (think Guitar Hero but on a real guitar) that’s basically a class compliant audio interface. Mono 16bit 480000Hz, not as good as the Stereo 32bit 48000Hz from the AR2’s USB interface but good enough since the extra detail gets compressed away over the stream anyway