Spotify will fail

Spotify will fail

or, to put it shorter — SPOTIFAIL

4 Likes

Well the idea that Spotify doesn’t make money or is unsustainable. It does, it’s a money printing machine and I think it’s just clever accounting if it doesn’t seem to.

And the big labels own a slice, so they’re paying themselves basically. It’s a great racket where they can blame Spotify for not paying artists and Spotify can point at their bottom line and say they already pay more than they could afford

It doesn’t make money. The attraction is valuation.

1 Like

Yeah that I think is clever accounting. They pay all of their profits away to their big shareholders, it’s a mutually beneficial arrangement. Spotify doesn’t need to make money like traditional companies do.

1 Like

At no point does my post say Spotify doesn’t make money.

Also as Benn’s video points out Spotify aren’t interested (and nor are their investors) in being profitable at the moment, (their share price is predicated on hitting customer acquisition targets).

Once growth plateaus they will focus on extracting profits.

This very old, but excellent blog post explains it very well: Strategy Letter I: Ben and Jerry’s vs. Amazon – Joel on Software

Ah, well I misunderstood them. I thought the point was that Spotify will fail because their business model is unsustainable, which I disagree with. I think it’s very sustainable now that they have the major labels on board and will stay profitable until legistelation or something steps in and deems the draconian contracts they force artists to sign void and illegal.

As of 2021, Spotify said it had paid $30 billion in royalties to the music industry, and the $7 billion paid out in 2021 was more than double the amount paid out in 2017.

Spotify is not going anywhere.

Isn’t that what Elektronauts is for?

Surely we’d lose all direction if someone started doing this on YouTube.

4 Likes

Well that’s too bad. Here it’s like instant access to hobnobing with the titans of industry. They even give you a lapel pin once your bankruptcy is discharged and some non-rupters go to the trouble of buying counterfeit pins.

It would just be recursive to the point of insanity.

Those of us that are aware of irony would be too anxious to say anything while others would bash the synthtuber basher relentlessly for lacking talent and instead choosing to drag others down

Edit: and then another YouTube channel to bash synthtube bashers. Another thread, another channel.

Turtles all the way down

3 Likes

Here you get flogged and put in a pillory at the town square 7 days

1 Like

I’m not generally into too much government regulation as it generally seems to be the wrong sort, well at least to me but I’m surprised this hasn’t happened yet. Do artists in other countries get paid the same? Countries like France seem to be very protective of the arts comparatively.

Given my predisposition towards self flagglation that doesn’t sound so bad.

1 Like

…there’s always bad debt…and good debt…

if ur a “have not” ur on the bad debt side…if ur a “have” ur on the good debt side…

ur debt is nothing but the profit of somebody else…keep that always in mind…

tax avoiding is not just a sport…when ur rich…it’s business…
if u run a business that earns good money, u better find a clever solution fast, how to get rid of that money again…

be assured, spotify makes no profit…while the perfect amount of people make a damned good profit of it anyways…and of course, they’re ain’t no artists…

it’s really a bad joke, if u face the truuth that there’s been never that much revenue in global musicbiz ever before, while all profit has never been more accumulated in the hands of those who never came up with a second of music on their own…

2 Likes

Your youtube channel is one I would watch, well, at least once a month…

Sorry mate, your post has been demonetized!

Don’t forget to smash that dislike button.

Although if you do, it’ll just be between you and me.

No-one else will ever know how cool you are.

1 Like

I mean I’m not arguing there isn’t accounting chicanery going on like in any company, but that’s beside the point: like Facebook for years before it started turning a profit, the investors are “paid back” in how much their investment is valued based on it, one day, starting to turn a (ridiculous) profit.

Right now they’re running a loss because they’re spending all the money on rights payouts (why they’ll stop at nothing to pay artists nothing) and trying to corner and vacuum up the market, aiming to be the Facebook of music.

No see that’s where we see this differently: Spotify is not responsible for the contracts musicians make that say how much they will get out of streaming revenue. The music labels are. Blaming Spotify is absurd, they’re just a platform. If you look at the chart, music industry revenue is back to where it was at the height of physical media, and Spotify was responsible for 1/3 of that revenue. If they don’t reach the artist, it’s not Spotify who’s holding back.

And now that Spotify is making so much money for the industry, it will not fail. It’s not a social media, it’s a money printing machine for the music industry.

Spotify itself pays out its own way, regardless of whatever deal the labels and artists have for which of them gets how much from Spotify’s payout.

But that is concentrated only into a few artists hands based on how streaming pays out, which is all the revenue pooled into one pile, and then each artist receiving a payout based on the percentage of plays they received. So, if you’re on Spotify and have never once listened to Taylor, you’re still paying Taylor. (Ahem Tidal pays artists for their actual streams ahem)

Ok, but, for the above reasons, that money is not being doled out fairly.

In addition, the 5 big labels all have investments in Spotify, so they’re actually getting paid twice.

I’m not saying it is going anywhere. My point is, if the status quo is allowed to remain the way it is, consider what Facebook did to human relations and extrapolate that to the music industry.

1 Like

This is exactly my point. Spotify just gets revenue from subscribers & wherever they get their revenue from, then pays the rights holders meaning the major labels 7 billion dollars and more each year. Vast majority of that never reaches the artists. Who’s holding back? Surely not Spotify.