Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

Anyone would like to test this on his/her unit? Would be greatly appreciated!

Another happy kid in the Hapax family :heart_eyes:

11 Likes

A motherheckinā€™ tracking code. Been waiting since May for it. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

just got my duty notice from DHL woo hoo. currently $44 in California, FYI

Wonder which is more immediate, jam friendly. Hapax or Oxi One.
Hapax looks more like the deeper song creation tool

Is it for the june or september batch ?

Hapax is deeper for sure but it seems to be pretty immediate too with its FX and algos. You can jam pretty quickly too IMHO

1 Like

i was June, with one of the units just waiting on the replacement faceplates.

1 Like

Got some new knobs, which feel and look much better than the originals IMO :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Itā€™s rare like I like knob swaps but this looks very clean

1 Like

Its a tough call still for me. The Hapax looks like the center of the studio while the Oxi looks like it can play that role or may be better at being the thing you grab when you need chords, arps, melodiesā€¦etc. I mean you can do that on both, but if I owned a Hapax I feel like I would not be using it enough, since I mainly use a sampler for 80% of my tracks.

1 Like

16 tracks (32 if you donā€™t need the dual project architecture) for Hapax versus half that on Oxi alone makes it an easy call for me. Sequencing MPC One externally for any sampling I use, Pyramid handled it across multiple tracks with ease so Iā€™m not worried about replacing it with Hapax

1 Like

Well yeah but like I said I probably will use it for 4-6 tracks at most. So a different use case.

This guy does decent reviews despite been a ā€¦

2 Likes

Oxi has a lot more tracks than that - it has Multitrack mode which features eight tracks per sequencer - so 32 tracks spread across the four sequencers. And each step of a track can address a different MIDI channel. Itā€™s pretty bonkers. :wink:

2 Likes

nice reviews indeed, but the name and mask are so ridiculous. Why on earth?

2 Likes

monophonic tracks, as i understand it. not really 8/32 tracks with full polyphony

1 Like

Exactly! Iā€™ve read that argument several times on here for the Oxiā€¦but as you point out, those are monotracks, not the same at all. If you look at it that way, youā€™d have 256 tracks on the Hapaxā€¦

I just got my delivery notification for the Hapax and am super excited. I probably will buy an Oxi down the road as well, even just for the portability and bluetooth connectivity (ipad + oxi should be a great travel setup).

Super excited about the Hapax though and I think its polyphonic track count, midi FX, button layout and UI make it the perfect studio centre for me. Itā€™s basically the sequencer Iā€™ve dreamed of and never thought anyone would actually make.

1 Like

Ah, I misunderstood. If youā€™re looking for that much polyphony at once then the Hapax may well be your solution. I tend to only have one polyphonic track at most in a song and I sample a lot, so often a single note will be triggering a chord on a sampler. :slight_smile:

What are you all doing for the metronome? Trying to figure out a good configuration.

I know thereā€™s the option to send metronome data over midi but when you send it to a mono synth that whole thing is just weird. I tried just putting a click noise in a track on ableton and sequencing quarter notes but that also seems annoying time and time again. Of course thereā€™s the CV route but I currently donā€™t have a cable long enough to reach the patch bay, I could buy one but then Iā€™m also using up a CV slot.

I could just slave the Hapax to Ableton which might be the easiest thing. I also considered getting a really cheap speaker and just temporarily plugging it into the cv jack.