SSL fusion

Everyone still happy with their SSL Fusion?

Dealer just got one of these. ā€You can borrow itā€, he said. ā€Take it for a spin. Let us know what you think.ā€

:japanese_ogre:

6 Likes

Sounds like a dealer alright! :grinning:

5 Likes

Haha, yep :slight_smile:

ā€œPlace it on your main out from your SiX, or just run your Blackbox through it. See what happens.ā€

The bastards :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I had a Fusion and an SSL Six, but I didnā€™t particularly rate them. I felt they were costly for what they offered. Iā€™m sure others will love them, as theyā€™re beautiful items to own. However, both units made me appreciate how good todayā€™s plugins are - for a lot less money.

I sold the SSLā€™s and bought an RME Babyface Pro FS and spent the change on the top end plugins from Softube - so now Iā€™m still skint.

However, if I were doing it all over again today, Iā€™d get that UC-1. That looks like an excellent way to control that superb plugin.

1 Like

You know, it even shows up in the SSL SiX manual as the item on the master insert. Clearly, it has to be there. haha.

That aside, I do want to hear your thoughts. Mostly because I enjoy reading your reports. :smiley:

3 Likes

Really interested in this.
Will the Blackbox output be too hot?

1 Like

If you run your samplers through high voltage analog processing you might want to start with -23dB on your master volume then do output gain on the fusion.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll probably run the Fusion as an insert on the SiX and divide it over the three strips. A lot of it on the drums at ch1 and ch2, a little less of it on the textures, loops and ambience on ch 3 - 6. Itā€™ll side with a CXM 1978 on the second insert.

5 Likes

:blush::pray:

Well, Iā€™ll say this about the Fusion - once youā€™ve heard it, you canā€™t unhear it.

10 Likes

Bro welcome to the world of Class A analogue audio. :grin:

4 Likes

Shut up and take my kidneys

2 Likes

:facepunch:

Worst part is, becomes apparent how shitty my source mixes are when run through this. But Iā€™ve never been more motivated to get better now.

4 Likes

Maybe itā€™s been mentioned but, save yourself oodles of cash and use Acustica Celestial.

2 Likes

One needs computers and sound cards for such things, of which I have neither :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m trying out a few different routing options here between the Fusion and the SiX now, and one thing Iā€™m considering is to just place it on the master and not bother with inserts or similar. Currently, I run the Fusion on all six channels on the SiX, and while thatā€™s neat, itā€™s not quite the effect Iā€™m after. I really just want to process the final output through the Fusion.

With that in mind, would you place the Fusion before or after the SSL SiX g bus compressor? I asked a few engineering mates of mine and they got into a fight between each other on which option was the best, so I figured Iā€™d ask you polite and civil folks here instead. One guy goes ā€œBut you wanna process the compressed output to get that funky vibeā€ and the other ones goes ā€œbut the compressor is a master, so it should be after the Fusion for that very reason.ā€

And Iā€™m like, hoo-kay.

As always, the answer is ā€˜it dependsā€™ā€¦ :laughing:

Generally, Iā€™d place the Fusion before SiX, but it really comes down to the overall aesthetic youā€™re trying to give to the mix. The short answer is if youā€™re trying to accentuate and emphasize what the compressor is doing, then use the Fusion after compressor and EQ accordingly. If the goal is just subtle ā€˜glue and vibeā€™, then keep the Fusion before the compressor.

For example, if Iā€™m using the bus compression to highlight parts of the mix, letā€™s say adding a little movement and emphasis to the high hats, then Iā€™ll sometimes want to add a small amount of EQ to that same frequency range post compression to further showcase it. The high shelf of the Fusion would be terrific for that. Iā€™m generally EQā€™ing into compression, but with certain mixes the opposite really works well.

Itā€™s not a 100% rule one way or the other though, so itā€™ll require some experimentation to see which you prefer most of the time. However, donā€™t be a afraid to change it up if youā€™re not quickly ā€˜feeling itā€™ for a given mix and swap the two.

3 Likes

Thank you. Very good advice. Iā€™m doing this set up now and Iā€™m finding this is the vibe Iā€™m after. Once itā€™s all glued together, it just makes a lot of sense to push it through the compressor and send the whole goddam thing out through the monitors.

Right now, Iā€™m doing cue out from the SiX into external SiX inputs, and Iā€™m sending it all to the channels where I want the Fusion for full effect. If I want just the Fusion sound, I just switch the mix to 100% external input, if I want to blend, I can do that (though Iā€™ve found no reason why I would, yet) and if I want to hear it dry, I just turn off the external input and listen to the dry signal instead.

Not sure this is the right way to do it, but it does work :slight_smile:

This f*****g box is bleedinā€™ amazing. The shit itā€™s doing to my tracks.

2 Likes

I may have to mute this thread. Ha! I canā€™t wait to hear some examples!

5 Likes