SSL fusion

So curious now due to your posts :slightly_smiling_face:Any chance you could share some snippets what the Fusion is doing to your sound?

2 Likes

Yep, I plan to share soon. Just a pattern or so, but a before and after comparison, to get an idea of what it does. I havenā€™t really heard many examples in terms of just pushing electronic music through it, so Iā€™d imagine it might be interesting to hear the difference.

I found the best way to experience it, is to start with a track unprocessed, then follow it as you turn the switches on, one by one, and just tweak them to your liking. Since they influence each other, itā€™s a back and forth thing. You do something with the EQ, work the high pass compressor, then back to the eq again. And once you got that going, you maybe wanna push the drive a little harder. And after youā€™ve turned on the platform thing button (donā€™t remember what itā€™s called :slight_smile: ), you go back to the low end eq, to further underline whatā€™s going on.

So the box is very much alive. Itā€™s easy to just enhance something with it, but itā€™s not as easy to get it juuust right. Which is just part of why itā€™s so cool, of course. Lots of depth in just a few buttons and switches.

2 Likes

Donā€™t forget to try the secret LMC compressor mode. It may not be the best for use on the master buss, but you could process some audio with it if you are looking for that kind of effect.

2 Likes

Itā€™s perfect for kicks and snares. I use the plugin myself. I have the subscription to the SSL plugin suite. It can get a little too Phil Collins if you push it hard

3 Likes

Donā€™t we all, get a little too Phil Collins when pushed too hard.

7 Likes

Hereā€™s a pattern going through the Fusion now -

First, itā€™s clean, Fusion in Bypass mode.

Then, I turn it on. Still nothing going on, just active now.

After that, thereā€™s the (subtle but efficient) high pass filter. After that, I switch on the EQ, followed by the high pass compressor. Finally, the room widener and the low end harmoniser thing.

For effect, I then turn all these off at the same time. And back on again. Youā€™ll know when that happens, for sure.

Donā€™t be fooled by the volume at first, it starts unprocessed and builds from there, so donā€™t turn it up, you might regret it.

6 Likes

Is there no way to volume match on the Fusion? How would you A/B something to know if you were making something better or worse like for like?

I could probably dial down the output to match :thinking: gonna try that right now actually.

EDIT: Tried it now @craig - If I dial down the Fusionā€™s output to zero, itā€™s an exact match. It actually works a lot better in this mode, cause now the difference is even more obvious. Though slamming the SiX compressor with the Fusionā€™s output is sweet sweet candy.

1 Like

Canā€™t wait to check this out later. Painting doors is stupid.

2 Likes

While the Fusion makes wonders to a mix on good headphones or monitors, you can really tell when you listen to the final result on average output - phone earplugs, a portable Marshall I got, an old Bose bluetooth that runs on gasoline - how well it translates and just behaves on average systems. Itā€™s like the dynamics really seem to survive to the end units where most people listen to the result anyway.

Still painting doors but gave this a listen and wow what a difference. And yes, just on phone speakers itā€™s amazing. Really cool track too!!

2 Likes

I think I love you for saying that :heart:

1 Like

Micro master rig.

Now, what to use for the remaining SiX channels?

11 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

Sounds great.
Couldnā€™t find this in the manual, but does the fusion have passive pass through? As in, when not powered up, does the signal pass unaffected from the inputs to the outputs?

1 Like

Yes it does. The Fusion on its own, even in bypass mode, adds just a slight hint of something, even when the output trim is at the bottom. So turning it off completely, as in power off, also works if you want to work through your chain but not have it active.

Itā€™s deceptively complex for all its straight forward interface, since all parts really react to each other, and sometimes it doesnā€™t take much to make a change that really matters. And it has a very organic and smooth response to everything, so while it obviously has no modulation going on in the functional sense of the word, the sound keeps shifting and changing, depending on the very precise input it gets and the reaction of the components to that input. And if you got something going in there which in itself is fairly alive, you get a constantly evolving natural sound flowing through the Fusion.

Since the signal flows from the input trim through the components, whatever you hit the drive with, sort of impacts everything that comes after - whatever the eq allows to pass influences how the high pass compressor will react, and in turn send on to the stereo image. So even a subtle change in a source track with lots of modulation, will create an entire ripple of fx through the Fusion.

Look, itā€™s usually quite subtle. But it generates that kind of human variation that makes you listen to a loop over and over again and never tire of it, provided you like it in the first place, of course.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s another one right through the Fusion, the same source material but a slightly more coherent track this time.

Iā€™m gonna stop posting demos in this thread, a track is what it is after all and what you run it through is not always important, but I figure one more couldnā€™t hurt -

EDIT: I should add, this is Digitakt only, through the Fusion thatā€™s run as a cue on the SiX, with its mate the CXM 1978 as a companion on the other insert.

While the remaining SiX channels glare angrily at me for being empty, I canā€™t for the life of me figure what Iā€™d insert there. This track really doesnā€™t need more going on.

3 Likes

Two things: 1. inserts on the SiX are different than the cues. 2. you can always return your fusion and reverb on channels 3-6. Not only do you get to use the faders for control in this case, you can also experiment with sending the wet reverb to the fusion or vice versa. And of course, it will pacify the SiX :wink:

:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Ah, yep, I use the cues, got the terms confused there.

The rest, tho, Iā€™ve yet to try :blush: it does sound like a great way to increase the space without scrambling for more instruments to plug in just cause I can.

1 Like

Iā€™m starting to wonder if I need the SiX anymore. Iā€™ve done some A / B-testing with a tracked summed through the SiX, all inputs, and then through the Fusion - alternatively just the stereo mix through the Fusion, no SiX involved.

While the one is definitely different from the other, Iā€™m not sure which one I prefer. I might consider giving up the flexible routings of the SiX for a more straight forward no nonsense workflow with just the Fusion on the end mix.

2 Likes