SSL fusion

Damn :exploding_head:

I think Iā€™d really miss the extra eq on 1/2 and the compressors. That said, Iā€™ve not tried it direct to fusion without the SiX. I turn the compressor off on the Blackbox and donā€™t use the master EQ (wish there was a EQ for each pad though), so guess we work differently there as well.

1 Like

Just wait until you have tried Stimmingā€™s Instant Mastering Chainā€¦ :grin:

3 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m still experimenting. But hereā€™s what Iā€™m doing now, that makes me consider if maybe the SiX at least in this scenario, wonā€™t be needed -

No compressor on the Blackbox.

Master Blackbox EQ to tame the low ends, not try to nail it, just get rid of the worst parts, to allow the Fusion to work its magic even more.

Blackbox Out 1 into Fusion, where I then switch the High Pass compressor to the Phil Collins one instead, using that to try and not miss the SiX compressor too much.

And thatā€™s it.

Before, I routed Blackbox 1, 2 and 3 into SiX 1-6, applied some CXM reverb on ch 3-6, and then all into Fusion.

I havenā€™t used the SiX eq in any context since I got the Fusion, though. It got a bit processing on top of processing when I did, so it was just one piece too many of the lovely cake.

1 Like

Haha :slight_smile: you know, it wouldnā€™t surprise me if itā€™s awesome. But I do have to wonder if that ā€œOT Converters Suck But I Have A Solution By The Wayā€-gent have enough skills to match those of SSL on his first try, though Iā€™m pretty sure he might get close. Say Analog Heat close.

2 Likes

I have been considering buying this for some time now and finally cracked. It should be here by the end of the week. I really canā€™t wait to be able to run my mixes through it.

5 Likes

:clap:

1 Like

Imo, if you arenā€™t taking advantage of the excessive routing options then Iā€™d be inclined to agree that itā€™s not needed in your setup/process.

For me, having 2 stereo auxes for each Orville dsp as well as the inserts for my Fusion, Electra, and Tweakers, is something I couldnā€™t go without. Then again, I enjoy processing more than composing, and the Six allows for a great deal of routing/re-routing without plenty of clean compensation gain. I just wish it had inserts on the stereo channels, but Iā€™ve adapted my setup around working perfectly with the Six as a means of limitation and answers.

3 Likes

Yes, this might very well be the case. Though granted, whenever Iā€™ve been in a situation where some routing has been required, even the odd case or two, itā€™s always been possible with the SiX. I donā€™t use nearly all its ins and outs and lefts and rights even when I push it, but itā€™s that kind of kit that should I sell it, thereā€™s just no point in getting anything else in that vein.

Itā€™ll be a long time away before I make such a decision, itā€™s served me really well since I got it, but I have considered from time to time if Iā€™m just a stereo stem kind of guy and just find a one route signal chain that works for me, and stick with that. If so, Fusion would be at the heart of it.

It should be noted, after some use now, that the mixes I run through the Fusion really translate well into systems that just arenā€™t all that great - car stereos, bluetooth speakers and so on.

Somehow, whateverā€™s going on just translates a lot better to low and mid range consumer systems, coming out way closer to what I intended now, than before. A very welcome and pleasent experience. Itā€™s almost starting to sound like I know what Iā€™m doing now, on the average Marshall bluetooth speaker or whatnot.

11 Likes

You people using anything on the Fusion inserts? Iā€™m considering a compressor but also thinking, nah. Itā€™s all good as is. Especially the Phil Collins compressor really does the job for me.

Still, the insertā€™s there and it seems pretty useful. Whatā€™s your scenario?

1 Like

I too love the Phil Collins compressor but feel like then Iā€™m missing the high freq compression that allows more boosting with the eq, which I also like a lot.

Getting a bus compressor seems like the only way to go imo to get all the power out of the Fusion. The Warm Audio bus comp and BBS 402 are on my radar. I think I like the BBS sound more. It has a nice smooth limiter and de-esser too.

Iā€™m interested in the Fusion but havenā€™t decided yet. Could any of you using the LMC (ā€œPhil Collinsā€) mode compressor provide an A/B example? Sounds really strange to me to use this on the master rather than just the drums/snare as it was famously used for but perhaps it works as you say. I canā€™t imagine that it can replace a proper master compressor though.

Oops, I accidentally hopped on the Fusion bus. Should arrive tomorrow.

3 Likes

I hate it when I accidentally spend $2500! Damn wallet just jumps out on itā€™s own sometimes when you least expect it, runs off and gets wasted at an all nighter. At least when it happens these days I have something to show for it at least for a few years!

4 Likes

Thatā€™s why I had to get a wallet with a hipster chain on it. :slight_smile:
However, on this occasion it was a very good used deal which pushed me over the edge.

1 Like

Enjoy it! Iā€™ve almost pulled the trigger a couple of times now even though Iā€™ll have some overlap with existing gear. Itā€™s almost inevitable that Iā€™ll get one too and difficult to keep from just going for it.

For me it doesnā€™t really overlap with any other gear I have, apart from maybe a couple of plugins, so that helped justify it to myself.

The Fusion is probably my next purchase to pair up with the SSL Six. I was looking at the Silver Bullet mk2, too, but with this global components shortage, itā€™s more likely Iā€™ll be able to grab the Fusion long before the Bullet. The last time the Bullet was offered for sale, it sold out within minutes (and thatā€™s with a likely January 2022 expected delivery date).

Two of the circuits available as plugins:

The rest to follow.

2 Likes

I realise this is a bit of a shameless cross posting, but not all of us visit all threads and I felt this was relevant enough to sacrifice some of my dignity -

hereā€™s a new EP I made, mastered using the Fusion only. Summed through the SiX first, with the g bus compressor doing its thing before the results hit the Fusion.

Feel free to ask about process, provide feedback or just slam me for posting this kind of stuff when I already got a thread going for the EP itself -

8 Likes