Stand-alone nanoloop hardware!

Excellent update!!! Nice job Oliver, this thing is gonna be bananas by 1.0 release.

1 Like

Awesome! Need to decide whether I’m happy to sacrifice the tunes I’ve made so far now…

Your patterns should remain untouched by the update. At least they survived here. Yes, I was also prepared to sacrifice them since the update instruction mentions clearing.

2 Likes

That’s cool! I’ve give it a go anyway

1 Like

this musician on twitter seems to post a lot of nanoloop things.

his release music is very good too

https://twitter.com/Phasma

2 Likes

Nice recommend! The sound of this thing is FAT.

1 Like

Waiting for Gesceape to drop an album from this thing…

^ That!

1 Like

Any tips to getting the firmware deployed from your average laptop sound card? I can get it roughly half-lit but it’s not getting all lit.

I also tried to utilize a lightning to audio adapter, but it’s completely not triggering a response.

I’ve found that when doing the test, it helps to turn the volume up a bit higher than the point where the LED starts flashing. Also, on mine it didn’t light up all the way until the very end.

1 Like

Thanks, I tried a bunch of things and ~6-8 times later it succeeded :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’ve been using my audio interface and it works fine. I remember I had issues getting samples onto the volca sample using audio data transfer. You could try your mobile and see if thst works?

1 Like

That workaround worked much better before Apple gave up analog outs.

Here’s v1.6 of the frame / diffuser I designed. I wanted to make it look completely white when switched off, but couldn’t get it opaque enough without being blurry/dim when switched on. I may mess around with some different materials in the future, maybe an opaque white filament for the frame with transparent top would be nice.

Anyway, it also includes some new button anchors, because the current flat ones are annoying due to how much they slip on the button domes.

I also learned that the button caps are a standard LEGO part, so if you want buttons in colours other than the ones Oliver used, they’re pretty easy to order!

All parts here, with some instructions:

Some photos:

12 Likes

I’d like to find some sort of cover, like a silicone cell phone case, that fits over the back. Sweaty hands!

1 Like

Yeah, I’m considering extending the frame so it fits around the back somehow. Maybe in two pieces. I’d like to cover the batteries as well, feeling them jiggle around makes me anxious.

Haha, maybe side grips to make it look like a playstation controller :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yo dude this looks amazing, do the leds need to be set to high brightness for it to work properly though?

Not on the most recent version, as the diffuser layer is only 0.6mm thick. It helps to be on full brightness, especially in a bright environment, but it’s not too bad. Here’s what the default brightness looks like when standing under the skylight in my kitchen:

3 Likes

I don’t think Oliver got my message that I’d changed my mind and wanted the digital version.

That’s the only explanation I can think of as to why I haven’t heard anything in months now.

Just shoot him another email direct, he is good about getting back to emails but only human, give him a little bump and he will get yours sent out.