Steam Deck

well, it’s the 64 model. I currently own a switch and find myself not playing on it as games are usually crazy expensive compared to my series s.

and i don’t play as much series s as it’s always connected to the tv and I find I don’t buy as much games on it as I mainly use it for gamepass.

so honestly i’m asking myself if I’d need to buy another console or just be happy with what I have.

what do you play on it ?

Right now:

Witcher 3
Mass Effect Andromeda
Cyberpunk
Assassins Creed Odyssey
Death Stranding
Shadow of The Tomb Raider
GTA IV
GTA San Andreas
Elder Scrolls Oblivion
Fable
Guardians of the Galaxy

All run well.

Btw, you’ll have no problem with the 64 IMO. Just get a 1 TB SD card, the load speeds are fine. I have the 512 gb version and notice zero difference in loading between the internal and my SD.

For 399 it’s a no brainer, IMO. It’s far better than a switch to me, as game selection is a lot better and games are a lot cheaper. Plus you can put a Switch emulator on it and play those games too.

3 Likes

Its not that portabe, if i play an AAA title, the battery is done after 70 to 90 minutes.

I think its not bad, it gives also a timer to do something else. The pad is responsive, and the sticks more enjoyable for my hands compared to the switch.

Just got one and like it. The only game that’s given me major problems so far is Red Dead Redemption II, but apparently a recent update broke it on Steam and that may get resolved.

Just FYI, Steam Decks are (finally) able to be bought instantly, no reservation needed. All three SKUs currently display a “buy now” button .

7 months in now, I’m still unhealthily obsessed with mine. It hits all the right sweet spots for me. It hasn’t been completely without hitches, but Valve has done a great job patching up my biggest complaints - notably, the whiny fan noise on some early models has been addressed in firmware with a new fan curve, and an unresponsive virtual keyboard was patched recently and now feels great to use. The screen was also inferior to my OLED Switch for appearing oddly desaturated, but after installing a third party plugin called VibrantDeck, it looks much, much better. As a result the Deck feels even better to use now than when I first got it.

There was a beta OS update a few days ago that fixed this.

1 Like

I love mine…but my kid loved it more so I gave it to him…then bought another one for me!

This is not what I need to read. A mate bought a Steam Deck a few weeks back and hasn’t shut up about it. You guys chiming in too is going to make it hard to resist…!

Not my video, but relevant to this thread.

10 Likes

Very nice. Would be a handy little machine to run that new Fors Opal on.

1 Like

To run Opal they recommend

Ableton Live Suite 11+
macOS 12, M1, 8GB RAM
Windows 10, Intel i7, 8GB RAM

The Steam Deck easily meets and exceeds those Windows recommended specs. I don’t think it will have any problems.

I hope someone tries this. Would be wild.

1 Like

‘docking’

4 Likes

Steam deck looks great. Also a good amount of others doing similar high end devices which is great to see. Odin, aya neo etc.
I know one person with steam deck and he loves it.

Looking like a great time for mobile gaming. Im going to let the market develop a little whilst i save up for something like SD etc. In meantime im grabbing a retroid pocket 3+ for cheap. It can emulate up to PS2 level ish. 150 bucks

1 Like

I would have jumped all over one of these a few years ago … but my expensive synth habit has replaced my expensive video game habit in the last few years.
:content:

(please don’t tell me how this can be used for music! :thinking: … nahhh)

1 Like

Ya…same here…although I still buy video games as I cant stop…so now have two cant stop buying hobbies. My wife has 370 pairs of shoes and keeps buying them so I figure it’s ok for me!

1 Like

I got it, its boring, making music is so much more fulfilling.

I finally caved and ordered one. Ordered the 64GB version (419€ in Germany!) and a replacement 512GB hard drive + 512GB microSD to bring storage up to 1TB.

Should be with me in a week or two. I’m most interested to use it as a portable SNES emulator and play all of the games of my childhood on it while in bed lol.

Couple games I have in my library already which seem to be Steam Deck verified, will see if anything else is worth getting once the device is here.

4 Likes

You won‘t regret it. Emudeck is a blast.

2 Likes