Stems timing with one-shots all cookoobananas for no reason

Hey hey hello! It is my habit to do more complex arrangements in Ableton and then mix those down to a very limited number of stems which get loaded onto the Octatrack and used, as stems/backing tracks, when I play live.
Every once in a while, for reasons that are unknown, a song gets fucked up where one of the stems will be several measures late or in advance of the others. The latest example of this I have a song where there are only two stems (one is drums and the other is every other instrument in the song except drums). The drum stem appears to be exactly 2 bars in front of where it should be. I know this by hearing snare builds and reverse crash cymbals building up to a main pattern that doesn’t happen on the other stem for another 2 bars. Things that I know for a fact:

• Both stems are 120 BPM and exactly 152 measures in length.
  • When I pull both stems out of the OT and place in a DAW, layered, they line up as expected.
  • The OT thinks that both files are 120 BPM and exactly 152 measures in length.
  • Both stems are trig’d on the first step of the same one bar pattern. They both do get trig’d at the same time.

WHAT IN TARNATION??? (halp)

Make sure they are one shot trigs and there are no other trigs. Also, turn loop off.

That’s all I got.

2 Likes

Yeah, it isn’t that but good call anyway because it’ll be something like that. Something obvious that I’m stupidly not seeing.

So 1 stem begin 2 bars after the other one ?

What if you trigger samples manually with trigs 9-16 ?

Quantize Trig off in Attributes ?
No microtiming on one shots ?
(Don’t think these are related but for sanity check)

I’d also try 1ST trig condition instead of one shots.

Check step length for the tracks containing these samples, check master step length, check chain after step length.

2 Likes