Stereo effect with LFO to Pan

Didn’t find anything about this:

Create a stereo like effect using the LFO on pan:

• set PAN of your sound a bit to one side (about -/+ 25)
  • map LFO to PAN
  • select the exponential decay curve for the LFO shape
    (depending on whether you orginally panned left of right, your need the rising or the falling curve;
    if PAN is negative, use the falling curve of SHP1,
    if PAN is positive, use the rising curve of SHP2)
  • set UPDTE to TRIG
  • SPEED to 120 - 127
  • DEPTH about 90 and higher, adjust to taste

=> stereo effect

Make sure to filter out the bottom end, more pleasing sound.
Works nice on short, sampled chords as well as claps.

Nice. Will try that out when I’m next at the MD.

Something I’ve been doing recently is to mimick the way I work on the Op-1 where tracks are a premium (there are only four) and we don’t have the option of automating panning. You can do this with any kind of sound, but I’ve been doing it with those sounds that are there to add some texture. Basically, you just tweak away on one of your 16 tracks until you have a nice pattern going, pan it hard left, then copy it to the next track slot and pan that one hard right. Then just make subtle changes to the copied track, eg change some p-locks, different filter settings, do some live rec tweaking, the odd different step, whatever you like really. This can achieve some really nice stereo widening effects.

As an alternative to panning the tracks hard left and right, just do some live rec tweaking on the panning on each track and p-lock some ping pong delay into some steps (in addition to doing the subtle changes). Also works nicely.