Strange Digitakt MIDI NRPN issue with Rev2

I have been having the damndest time getting NRPN to work being sent from my Digitakt to the Prophet Rev2. Thanks to this forum and the search function, I was able to learn from several of you how to send NRPN in the first place.

My overall goal is to send param changes from the Digitakt to the Rev2’s layers A and B using NRPN.

In short, I am able to accomplish this perfectly using CC, but not NRPN.
I am using Track A (to change Layer A) and Track B (to change Layer B), set to channels 1 and 2 respectively on the DT. The DT is set to send param output as NRPN. On the Rev2, I have multi mode On and set to receive NRPN on Channel 1 via MIDI cable.

Here is my example:

• The CC Destination page for both Track A and Track B are set to send to 99, 98, 6, and 38.
  • The CC Values page for Track A is set to 0, 0, 0, and 0-127 so that I can change Layer A’s Osc 1 Frequency (Rev2 manual states NRPN = 0) by tweaking Val4 from 0-127. --> Works like a charm.
  • The CC Values page for Track B is set to (0 or 16)*, 15, 0, and 0-127 so that I can change Layer B’s Filter Cutoff *(Rev2 manual states NRPN = 15 for Layer A and 2063 for Layer B. I’ve tried both settings to no avail). --> This is where things get weird: Now tweaking Val4 changes the Cutoff on Layer A, but does nothing to Layer B. Track A’s settings also now just tweak the Cutoff on Layer A and not the Osc 1 Frequency anymore. Or if I hit the trig for tracks 1-8, then it works for a while, until I hit play or tweak anything else even slightly.

Are my settings just fouled up? Or perhaps I’m just not understanding how this all works and this is just not possible to do using NRPN? I am 100% expecting this to be user error :slight_smile: Thanks all.

For posterity in case anyone is easily confused like I am, I finally got it working, and here is how I successfully accomplished the above after scanning the output of a midi logger.

Example from above with updated values:
I am using Track A (to change Layer A) and Track B (to change Layer B), set to channels 1 and 1 respectively on the DT. The DT is set to send param output as NRPN. On the Rev2, I have multi mode Off and set to receive NRPN on Channel All via USB cable.

• The CC Destination page for both Track A and Track B are set to send to 99, 98, 6, and 38.
  • The CC Values page for Track A is set to 0, 0, 0, and 0-127 so that I can change Layer A’s Osc 1 Frequency (Rev2 manual states NRPN = 0) by tweaking Val4 from 0-127.
  • The CC Values page for Track B is set to 16, 15, 0, and 0-127 so that I can change Layer B’s Filter Cutoff (Rev2 manual states NRPN = 2063 for Layer B, or MSB = 16, LSB = 15).
  • The final step is to either lay down trigless locks or trigger locks, and then parameter lock in the 4 values from the CC Values page for each step. This is the important part, as this is what sends the full control message (ie, all 4 CC destination values of 99, 98, 6, 38). Previously when I was playing around with this functionality, I got confused due to the fact that only tweaking Val3 or Val4 encoders only sends those values and not the full 4.

User error on my part, but I’m glad I finally got it working.