Stuck between boxes, lack of inspiration

I only use a4, more than 1 box is too much to have fun. It is too complex (for me) to dig deeply into the synth.

I play acoustic guitar, sometimes my brain prefers this over noisy sequenced beats.

I juggle, sometimes my body prefers to move instead of sitting in front of a machine.

there is always creativity in one of them

2 Likes

I think ā€œDonĀ“t overthink thingsā€ is a good starting point, but its not the answer, because like you stated for people who over-analyze it just makes things worse.

Since a long way back i have basically 5YĀ“d malding or intrusive thoughts or just moments of self doubt.

why do i over-analyze?
because i have a specific image of how i want things to be.
Why do i have a specific image?
etc. etc.

it doesnt always solve issueĀ“s you might have, but it helps you dig deeper into finding the core of what might be troubling you.

so darting back to OP. it feels like youĀ“re trying to box in your creative endeavors by categorizing them as projects. Maybe viewing your creativity in a more fluid/non-binary state might help you in your blockage.

so one way might be to start 5Ying why you feel what you feel regarding your creativity and why you feel like you need to have start and end goals in regards to your creative endeavors.

Hope you donĀ“t take offense in me going half-baled shrink on you.

2 Likes

Happens to me as well :smiley: And I guess youā€™re not the only one around here with only one interest. Iā€™m getting older as well but I tell myself to keep calm and just relax into it. If you donā€™t feel like making music, then donā€™t.

Personally, I try to finish every idea I have and then I make a full track from that idea. Then I upload it to my YouTube channel, so I can easily listen and analyze it later. I donā€™t go for perfection but rather getting my ideas across and every now and then I will really like the outcome.

4 Likes

Iā€™d be in full agreement with those who say that stepping back and taking a breath is a good idea. Fresh air has double the breath in it. :wink:

However, if you want to break through that frustration you have to get to understand the dynamics of your own mind. Everybody gets frustrated and everybody has their breaking point but there is a way to raise your tolerance to that issue that gets you every time - donā€™t give up!

Just as you experience that sense of frustration and want to pull away from it, take a step back in your mind instead, and observe yourself. Can you tell what causes it? Can you make just another attempt? Do you need a very short break of a couple of minutes instead of a long one? Take the subjectivity (emotions) out of it and perhaps learn something on the way. Over time you teach yourself to be just that little bit more patient and eventually have a breakthrough which is more rewarding than buying new gear.

The trick is to train yourself up like you would anything physical - keep at it without going too hard and burning yourself out. Make it fun, as others have said, and be relatively consistent. A positive mindset is absolutely essential. Best of luck to you.

1 Like

As you can imagine, Iā€™ve been giving this a lot of thought over the past day, and I think the problem has large doses of:

1. Too-high self expectations.
  2. Option paralysis, plus guilt at too many boxes (although I really only have a few).
  3. General creative burnout.

So far my remedies have been to put everything away except my OP-1 (for synths and sampling), and Ableton+Push 2, plus Drambo on the iPad.

I will not open any other boxes for a month at least. I will also not think about making a song. If its happens, fine, but the idea is to experiment, have fun, make grooves, and fill up a folder with samples and loops.

I will also dig out my old acoustic guitar and pack up the electric.

And on top of that, I will stop trying to make music after I finish my morning work session. I will go out, roller-skate, make field recordings. I feel I might be stuck in a rut, schedule-wise, too.

Thank you all for indulging me so far!

4 Likes

As a psychologist and juggler I learned a lot in the circus about flow. It is not only about thriving, it is about the optimum between frustration (make it yourself too difficult) and boredom.

So when I start juggling, I search for that optimum. It can be hard to find, but once found, time stops and I can keep on juggling. Then after 2 hours, creativity starts.

What helped me a lot, is that even with very simple tricks, there is a lot of space between doing something and doing something very well. For example, I can only focus on ā€˜round movementsā€™ or ā€˜flat planesā€™ where my balls are moving.

Why do people stop juggling after years of practice? I think (see) many people thinking their next trick is very hard, they keep on doing that one thing, get stuck, frustrated and stop.

7 Likes

Itā€™s innate performance anxiety - too afraid of failure even when our own eyes are the only ones that can see. Fear of exposition to our harshest critic, our own ego.

2 Likes

I have a similar problem :wink:

2 Likes

There is some great advice here already! I have similar problems - after I made a ton of finished tracks last year I havenā€™t finished much at all and I felt a little bad about it. I am trying to focus more on playing and learning than just finishing, which makes it too much like Actual Work.

I feel like I have a lot of years of not doing music to catch up on and achieveā€¦something? So I want to do as much as I can, but realistically I think people are good for maybe 4-5 hours of deep concentration per day and then you have to do something else. I find practicing instruments easier than composing since you donā€™t have to make as many decisions. Sometimes thatā€™s fruitful in generating my own ideas. Or Iā€™ll read about some gear or a plugin here or in a magazine and challenge myself to try to replicate it with what I have. I use some of my homemade Ableton effects a lot now, and they all came from these ā€˜what ifā€™ sessions.

Also, getting out of your usual space with gear or a laptop can help get you out of a rut. This is why Iā€™m starting to favor smaller synths with built-in keys. Or making something thatā€™s different from your usual style. Like others have said, the forum challenges can be a great way to explore that.

But yeah, a lot of it comes from the internal critic. I want to record something that is like the first big project I did last year when everything was more fresh and it all came together pretty quickly (a week or two of recording and another week of adjustment, mixing, etc). Itā€™s hard to get back into that state of mind!

1 Like

Right, itā€™s a necessary starting point and I absolutely understand that perspective.

Being over-analytical gives you a lot of information and often self-awareness about what the problems are but often no obviously superior paths forward.

I know a bunch of ways to surmount obstacles, but get stuck on what is the ā€œbestā€ for any particular, which leads me to either get into a choice paralysis loop, or (not worse, but not ideal either!) iterating through all the ways to unblock myself which is a lot slower than people who donā€™t over-analyze everything.

Thereā€™s always going to be an ā€œi am who I amā€ element to all of this where I canā€™t compare myself to people who take a more intuitive approach over analysis, but also sometimes I need to just do the thing without taking notes or understanding things on a deeper logical level.

I really enjoy some of Adam Neelyā€™s comparisons between polymeter and juggling, makes me almost want to take up the hobby to give me a driving metaphor for pulse and rhythm (if I didnā€™t need to spend more time thinking directly about rhythm!)

Being a bit hand-eye disjointed doesnā€™t help, or Iā€™d probably already have taken it up.

1 Like

This?

1 Like

Haha, it all goes in one ear and out the other sometimes. I keep a notebook handy and jot down any snippets of wisdom that resonates. I will reread these one day.

Also fortunate that I work from home and can freely have this stuff play in the background. If itā€™s too interesting that I canā€™t work without getting distracted I will just do one or two quite small work tasks for 5-10 minutes and then stop and watch a few minutes. Most days I get way more done in a day doing this than if I just try and work solidly for 45m blocks.

To OP, it sounds like youā€™re sorted with your block for the time being which is great. I will just chuck in the same suggestion I think I always give. And thatā€™s to sit down with one or two synths and something that can multitrack, but doesnā€™t give you too much control.

Then jam with yourself layer by layer. Record a few minutes of a drum loop with some live tweaking. Then do a bass line, maybe sequenced, maybe try playing it live, but also tweak the sound or your playing in response to the drums. If youā€™ve filtered the drums to create a softer moment for example. Then repeat with a pad and a lead or some random samples or whatever.

At most, practice 2 or three times before recording a pass, and donā€™t re-record (unless youā€™ve stumbled on something brilliant of course). If it is turning out terrible just persist because youā€™re not trying to make something, youā€™re barely even sketching. If it has promise you have the tracks to come back to. If itā€™s so-so then just post it in the current sounds from your gear thread.

I find this process relaxing, and I donā€™t feel invested when it turns out crap, but Iā€™m happier I sat down and mucked about anyway. I find it also highlights boring habits in playing, and I find itā€™s easier to ā€˜playā€™ something that sounds different than to ā€˜writeā€™ something different, if that makes sense.

1 Like

Perhaps try adding in soft synths and effects with your Elektrons to record tracks in a DAW? Iā€™m finding new inspiration learning how to add new software plugin effects with my hardware.

1 Like

I like this! This is exactly what I would do with my guitar, and afterwards I might go back through the record and grab the parts l like, or sample some sections.

@Mistercharlie not sure if you work out or not, but i find that regular and rigorous exercise really helps to stay motivated and have a fresh approach to our Creative Endeavors.

1 Like

Daily yoga is my thing, but I so need to get out and get the blood pumping with something a bit more active. Great point :+1:

Yoga is greatā€¦but you also have to zero yourself out, and build yourself up again. Man does not live on mat alone :facepunch:t3:ā„¢

I mix in Boxing with my meditation. Total game changer for me.

2 Likes

Do you have any goals with your music? Do you just make songs to make songs or when you sit down, do you sit down to noodle or work on anything that comes to mind?

I think if you set yourself some specific goals you might be a little more inspired. Like, do you wanna make an album or EP, or do you wanna eventually perform (maybe you do now, sorry that I donā€™t knowā€¦). Is there a specific type of song or songs you want to write? I found myself getting distracted by what I can do with music and not what I want to do with music. If that makes sense.
Especially with having a lot of cool gear, you can get lost in the ā€œWow, that sounds cool!ā€ but itā€™s not actually the type of song you want to write. You could even set you a small goal like, make a new song or two to listen to on the way to work (or insert activity that you travel to). IDK. My main point is that if you donā€™t have a specific musical goal, youā€™re not gonna get anywhere. I apologize in advance if Iā€™m WAY OFF. m(_ _)m But to give another example, I like going camping and I always wanted to get into streaming (I do sometimes, I just donā€™t have a lot of the right stuff) so I made the goal that I would create a lofi set for streaming by the campfire. Now, Iā€™m in no way any good at lofi or do I even want to make lofi, but for this one camping trip it was my goal and not only was it a cool experiment but I learned a lot, too! It wasnā€™t necessarily good, and I actually didnā€™t end up streaming (forgot my portable battery), but it was a nice change of pace. And that ā€œpressureā€ to finish something by a date really help push me.

Also, thereā€™s that whole thing about donā€™t wait to be inspired, discipline yourself to write. Blah blah blah, but if you want to make it a little more productive and less forcing yourself, you can always take that time to clean up, organize, or set stuff up properly, (or rearrange). I myself havenā€™t felt really like making music lately, but I got super motivated after finally doing something that I had been putting off because it was a huge pain in the ass. (Basically setting up a DAWless station)

Do you have any musician friends? Even if they donā€™t make the same kind of music as you, I found that (as a drummer) I got a lot of ideas and motivation from playing with other people. Even if the genre wasnā€™t of interest to me. Most of the time it wasnā€™t something I would want to put out there, but, again, it was a nice change of pace and I got a lot out of it.

If NONE of that sounds interesting at all. Play a game or watch a movie/TV show. Sometimes people just need a break.

EDIT: Add one more idea (sorry)

OH! And one more thing, are there any songs that you want to cover? Try covering a song but in a different genre. Make it stupid/comedic. Make it dark, or happy. You get my point!

4 Likes

Iā€™m finding that idea sketches in Onenote can be useful.

Iā€™m also trying to cut down on the level of notes one can create with cloud storage, since without physical constraints i can write down too many ideas!

@Mistercharlie if youā€™re into sampling even just a smidge, feel welcome to come join us in our vinyl challenges with @natehorn and all of the cool people that hangout with us there. Weā€™re all battling the same bug, and you can barely use the sample if you canā€™t find a way to use it! :beers:

Posting this timeless gem again because it feels necessary:

2 Likes