Stuck between boxes, lack of inspiration

Take time to read, this maybe helpful

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been through this exact same feeling.

Stop everything, and really look inside for the cause of the frustration.

For me, it was because I know exactly how I want the music to sound, but (at that time) my current setup (and current level of ability) forced the music in a certain direction.

You say ā€œI often find myself trying to get different boxes to work togetherā€

Why? Because one device is too limiting?

ā€œWhen they inevitably do something weirdā€

This is not inevitable! You just need a little more technical knowledge, maybe one or two key pieces of information youā€™re missing.

Luckily thereā€™s a huge community of helpful, knowledgeable people right here for you!

Last points: embrace this feeling of frustration. It is seriously a good thing. You have earned this feeling of frustration by all the practice, song-writing, and work youā€™ve put in so far.

Itā€™s the creative part of your brain, telling you itā€™s ready for the next level of expression. However, to push forward you might need to focus on acquiring technical knowledge for a while.

Best of luck!

6 Likes

Agree ā€¦ after a long frustrating time of not being able to make anything I was happy with, this book revealed a lot of things I was overlooking, changes I could make, and Iā€™m on a better path now.

3 Likes

I have this already. I should definitely read it again.

2 Likes

Frustration with me is generally

• Trying to do too many things at once
  • Trying to do too many things in a day (story of my life)

Once i settle on something i am confident in, i need to not swap it out unless iā€™ve got some other element iā€™m confident in.

Part of the issue with GAS is the novelty of new gear is in learning and becoming confident in it, but that does not create positive workflow at record time.

So buying gear contributes to the problem but the problem can certainly happen with existing gear if it hasnā€™t been made natural for any flow state.

1 Like

Makes sense.

GAS and buying gear is strange, because it can be part of the solution or add to the problem.

We need to think really hard about what exact setup will be best for us, and slowly make it happen.

The truth is, we are all involved in something truly complex and difficult - making electronic music.

There are SO MANY aspects to master, itā€™s certainly not easy.

At times it does involve frustration, and hard work, and some sort of pain.

However, it is worth it I feel!

My mantra is ā€˜Just keep goingā€™. I can oft be heard muttering it to myself in the twilight hours :grinning:

2 Likes

And thatā€™s really a lot of it.

Yeah, rock music is understood, full bands are able to distribute the cognitive load about better and reach more family/friends with their work.

One person ā€œbandsā€ are pretty overwhelming with the level of engagement required, roles to gain proficiency in, all without the added cross creative benefit of other parties!

1 Like