Sub-bank and program change messages not transmitted on first playback

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the cause of a weird phenomenon with my Digitakt and my Nord Drum 3P.

The Digitakt MIDI OUT is connected to the Nord Drum 3P MIDI IN.

On one of the MIDI tracks, I set the channel to the AUTO channel of the Nord Drum 3P. I enabled the sub-bank and program change knobs on the SRC page.

This allows me to change the bank and program of the Nord Drum 3P via the Digitakt.

The problem is that the Digitakt doesn’t seem to send the bank/program change messages when I think they should be sent.

I tested this the following way:

1. Chose a specific sub-bank and program (The Nord Drum changes to the bank and program)
  2. Record a note to the first trigger position on the MIDI track
  3. Save the project on the Digitakt
  4. Turn off the Digitakt
  5. Change the program on the Nord Drum via the program selector knob on the unit itself
  6. Turn on the Digitakt, wait until it loads
  7. Press Play

I expected the Digitakt to send the sub-bank and program change messages configured on the SRC page to the Nord Drum but this did not happen.

To make it even weirder, when I stopped playback and pressed play, the Digitakt did send the sub-bank and program change messages to the Nord Drum.

Anyone knows what is going on? This cannot be how this was imagined to work… can it?

Try double tapping STOP on DT.
It should send all relevant PC and CC prior to launch your sequence.
Worked for me on a Novation Mininova :slightly_smiling_face:

Indeed that seems to help. If I double-tap the stop button after the Digitakt is turned on then the bank/program messages are sent when I press start.

Now I wonder if this is a bug or an undocumented feature.

2 Likes