Super Sub-Woofer from Brane Audio ( New )

There’s this new company, that started many years ago making very large super efficient magnetic bearings, and they realized that their electronic control system could be reapplied to control small sub-woofers that can create a lot of sound — bass in a small space, very efficiently.

The company’s name is Brane Audio, and they’re about to release their first product the Brane X. Yes this thing is toaster size.

Part of this technology allows the sub-woofer to generate a lot of sound, while using much less power. These speakers run on rechargable batteries. It has the sub-woofer and both a pair of tweeters and a pair of mid-range speakers. So this speaker can play stereo. It is also made to withstand wet environments. It has Alexa, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and can run Spotify, so you can see what they are marketing towards.

Personally i’d hope that they will also create a stand alone sub-woofer too.

They are showing this new product at CES 2023 in Las Vegas, but they’re headed for a full launch at South by Southwest in Austin in mid-March.

Here is a picture of just the sub-woofer part.

I guess we need to hear this in person. Reportedly it sounds big. So if it’s reasonably portable, and sounds big, i could see it filling a need for portable sound systems too.

Here’s a short article from TechCrunch:

7 Likes

10 Likes

Yeah lots of tech behind these. I tried to avoid using the jargon in my post above. Really i only sort of understand what all is involved with the sub-woofer. Hoffman’s Iron Law. Repel Attract Driver. Membrane-Based Speaker. Balancing a magnet exactly where it needs to be. Canceling the air pressure forces with a magnetic force.

Even looking at the image of the sub-woofer leaves me wondering. There doesn’t seem to be any large permanent magnets here. Think of a big woofer and the heavy magnet at the back. That likely would also save weight.

They don’t mention a patent, but this is definitely the sort of innovation that would warrant a patent.

Not enough detail so far, and no sound demo, though it seems hard to convey how good they sound, unless you are hearing them in person.

1 Like
5 Likes

Whoa. Super interesting.

2 Likes

This is why you fix windshield cracks and dents when they happen. Notice none of the intact windows broke.

3 Likes

Haha - they have bass competitions in the US and this seems to often be a party trick. I suspect those are from earlier attempts :upside_down_face:

People are funny

2 Likes

The science behind bass enclosures can be hard to get your head around. The mini-rig sub uses a folded horn, I still don’t understand how these work. Calculations on horn length, chamber size, driver x-max and ground coupling are enthusiastically read by me, but it’s like me talking to my dog. :grin:

1 Like

Intriguing. I’m almost always disappointed by the little self contained, feature rich, all in one boxes but once this one is in the wild I want to hear it. Who knows, this could be the perfect sound system for my work van.
I’d love to see an internal cross section of the wave guides/ folded horns. I can’t imagine they don’t go that route. This always comes along with the need for time alignment but that’s easy to have preprogrammed in the box.
I have a pair of folded horn subs and I have to use an outboard ddl when I use them to eliminate flutter with the rest of the system. Though I rarely use mine these days since they weigh a couple hundred pounds each.

1 Like

Turns out they have a ton of patents, many in areas outside of speakers, but many that are relavant. For a list see the companies web-site :
http://www.cleanenergylabs.com/

They’re located in Austin Texas, and they are doing a lot of stuff with graphene as well. Not sure if that is relevant.

We’ll need to pick through a lot of patents to perhaps find the ones that may be relevant to show how they are making this sub-bass speaker work.

Also go to the Brane web-site. I couldn’t get their web-site to work at first, i was using a backwards Apple browser, so if you have difficulty try something else.

https://braneaudio.com/

This speaker system is heavily compute intensive using an FPGA doing 500 million calculations per second.

They are claiming a ten-fold increase in sub-bass sound, and a hundred-fold increase in sub-bass efficiency.

Another view of the bass speaker :

We may have to set aside some older ideas for how speaker systems work to understand this.

Interesting they indicate that you can use multiples of the speaker system, up to four, and that they adjust in order to create the best sound for the room.

On the Brane X speaker.

Dimensions
H 6.1" x W 9.3" x D 7" (H 155 mm x W 237 mm x D 177 mm)

Weight
7.7 lb. (3.5 kg)

That’s pretty reasonable.

By the way, we’ve scooped the music trade magazines, again ! They’re busy covering the Roland Piano Concept with the four floating drone speakers also at CES.

If you want to discuss the Drone Piano we’ll have to start a thread.

1 Like

So hopefully there is a bit of a race on for all the manufacturers of combo bass amps, Hartke, Fender, Marshall, Ashdown, etc, to license this technology and produce a premium battery powered, micro bass combo amp.

I’m curious if it’ll mean we can get something like the Meyer VLFC for less than $15k…

What I don’t get with anything this small is how it can move enough air. Maybe I’m being a dummy but isn’t bass all about air movement? Can a folded horn (I spent 30 minutes researching this yesterday off the back of this thread, what a hole! haha) have the effect of ‘more air’, a bit like how a turbine works to generate pressure? Otherwise what does all the tech do to make more bass? Headphones work mostly through proximity I guess (i.e. they don’t sound bassy if you put them on your desk and listen to them as monitors).

Hopefully this isn’t off topic I just find it interesting!

Let’s refine that a little — Sound in general is air movement back and forth over a differential of physical space. We draw waves, where the X dimension represents distance (or time), but the Y dimension represents pressure, so it’s not like a wave on the surface of a lake. That pressure radiates from the source and disperses.

The good and the bad thing about a patent, is that for a patent to be valid they have to tell you what they are doing. So somewhere off in that mass of documents is the answer to what they are doing if you are able to read and decipher “patentese”. It’s a language all unto itself. There will also be some guess work necessary too.

I have not read any of the patents, but let me make a hypothesis on how this thing might be made to work. Sometimes i’m a good guesser, but good or bad i enjoy the adventure. My thought.

The area of a vibrating surface could be covered by an array of MEMS ( microelectromechanical system ) micro-valves for air, that can be opened and closed at perhaps 120 Hz or more. These micro-valves may even permit partial opening and closing. By having a valve open on an upward move and closed on a downward move you create a directional air pump.

Since this is intended to be used within a narrowed range of frequencies, and that the sound is either musical or vocal, and not random, the frequencies in this audio band at any particular moment will tend to be related in frequencies. The processor calculates the best frequency to vibrate the plate, to create the mixture of vibration in this band of frequencies.

By varying which of these micro-valves are open and which are closed and how much at various times on this surface, you can create in conglomeration more complex waveforms, that very closely match the incoming sound signal. The shape of these valves being open and close will likely relate to the nodes you might see on a vibrating plate like shown in this video :

You can rapidly change the vibration of the plate even in motion, while changing the pattern of open and closed micro-valves. There may likely be a large diameter short tube connected to this “speaker” to give a differential in space over which this air pressure differential is spaced. Since this in some ways is more like an air-pump with very fast changes in direction of air motion, it should be highly efficient, capable of higher volume from a smaller space.

With multiple speakers it is possible to sense their relative placement and the acoustics of the room or area in which they sit with their in-built microphones, and thereby adjust their outputs in order to most optimally create musical sound in that space. The separate speaker systems in themselves could all be thought of as air pressure creating elements, and the processors would calculate how best to coordinate their individual sound-motion to best be part of that space.

Just an idea.

3 Likes

House parties FTW. I’m getting old.

2 Likes

I think part of it with headphones is also creating a seal around, on, or in your ear helps to generate more pressure with smaller movements. Funnily with those weird bone conduction headphones your ear kind of becomes the speaker and if you plug your ears you suddenly get better bass. But more air pressure is effectively a way to side step needing to move as much air.

As far as this thing goes I have to imagine it moves just as much air, they claim the special driver is capable of canceling out the internal pressure, I imagine if they are canceling out internal pressure that means they can then let the cone part push more pressure out with out needing a bass port. I do wonder though if there is some accuracy lost or something along those lines.

1 Like

Science!

Meanwhile, at Brane Audio HQ…

2 Likes