Sync of DT and OP-1

Hello everyone. Perhaps this question has already been answered, but I’m still looking for it. I am studying the question of buying a pair of devices for writing and playing music. It’s about DT with OP-1, and I have a specific question about their synchronization during live. DT is considered for drums, melodies and similar things. I see OP-1 as a synthesizer of various sounds. But synchronizing it with DT, I would like to use it as a lover of various stereo sounds. You can record up to 12 minutes of 4 tracks in this tape, and I imagine this limit to myself as a collection of backing tracks. For example, from 00:00 to 00:30 is a loop from the chords of the A-section of track 1, and from 00:30 to 01:00 is the B-section of track 1, etc. Will the same Kenton and or similar devices be suitable so that you can instantly switch from one piece of tape to another and simultaneously synchronize with changes in bits from DT? Thanks.

You can’t instantly switch to different tape sections on the OP-1 via MIDI, but you can tell it to skip to the next “looped”section on the tape with a key combo (I think it’s shift+an arrow key while playing, but I might be wrong).

This is near, but you cannot automate it.

The good news is, with the OP-1 Field, you don’t need a Kenton MIDI host. The OP-1 F is a MIDI host, so you just need a USB-C-to-USB-B cable to connect them directly.

When connected, they will sync, and you can also use the OP-1 F’s velocity-sensitive keyboard to play the Digitakt.

3 Likes

Is it possible to give the command to move to the next section of the tape in advance from the device itself? Or will disabling the current loop from the very beginning and setting a new one depend on my speed? Perhaps the question is not for this forum, but suddenly there is an answer to this, too.
As for the OP-1 F, which itself is a MIDI host, it’s more expensive, but still curious. There will be less clutter.

Yes, you can. You press the key shortcut at any time during the current loop, and it will only move onto the next loop when the current one finishes.

Ah, sorry, I assumed you were talking about the OP-1 Field, because you mention stereo samples. The original OP-1 is all mono, except for the master FX (and you can of course pan the tape tracks).

2 Likes

Everything is fine. Sounds great. Thank you.