Syncing DT with Pams New Workout / Modular

Hello, I am a new and very excited DT owner. I’ve watched about a million YT videos and am really into this super powerful and very intuitive machine. However, my plan is to integrate the DT with my small modular eurorack system.

I have a Pams New Workout and the PX2 expander. So I’m hoping to have Pams act as the master clock, syncing to the DT. I have a TRS to MIDI cable running from the MIDI out of the PX2 expander into the MIDI in of the DT. I have gone into the settings on the DT and in the Sync menu, I have set it to “clock receive”. In the Ports menu, I have changed the Input from to “MIDI”.

I thought that was all I had to do, and that when I change the BPM on Pams, it would change the BPM in lockstep on the DT, but nothing at all is happening. Pams and the Expander looks to be working OK and I have tried different cables and jumper positions - but nothing.

Help please! Am I missing something obvious?

1 Like

I use the PX2 with Pam’s as my master midi clock for my whole studio, which includes an Octatrack and MD. One thing to double check is that the physical connection between Pam’s and the PX2 is connected properly. It can easily get jostled in a eurorack case, and if it is even slightly askew it won’t send Midi clock properly. Whenever I move it to a new case I have to double check this; it’s really easy for those tiny pins to get disconnected. That’s the compromise for having a 2hp module for this I suppose - there’s no way to fit a more robust connection on the back.

Thank you, i’ll take a look… i dont think its that but you never know!

All there is to do indeed. And plug the incoming MIDI cable to MIDI IN.
Try with other cables and other gear to rule the defective component.

Did the midi trs cable you’re using come with the PX2? Everytime I have midi trouble with those I’m using the wrong type cable. I think ALM stuff uses type B?

Btw, I’ve had the best luck using the dinsinc adapter into Pam’s clock/run to sync Pam’s with stuff.

Nice! I need to get the expander for my Pam to sync up with my Elektrons and modular.