Syntakt and Midi // sending it & BIG vs. small boxes

Hej folks and especially Elektron folks

I’m venturing out into the wonderful world of midi modulation and transforming midi into CV signals and I came across a limitation that baffled me:
the Sequencer from the Syntakt, as well as from the Digitakt, don’t seem to output the midi data it is clearly using for it’s own tracks — so it can be used externally?

So for example: I want to user the Track info, the pattern, to create gate/triggers and use the modwheel data. I can do that with a dedicated midi track, but the already perfectly set Track can’t do that. Which is just baffling.

// And this brings me to a bigger thing I have with Elektron now, after a few months of using it:
ppl I asked to help me with this midi problem told me that the A4 for example DOES give out the midi data you’ve already programmed. Likewise the absence of Kits on the “smaller” boxes, that DO exist on the “big” ones. Usually I wouldn’t mind if larger synths have more features than the small ones, np, but with some essential groovebox features missing it feels like you’ve bought a Volca Drum vs. a Rytm with the Syntak. Mind you, these are still a 1000€ machines and not a 200 bucks leftovers from Behringer.

So why are there so simple and easy to implement features missing from high quality machines?

cheers,
Cat

It’s almost certainly not set like this imho, none of the Elektrons, big or small push out their track assignments as cc and the only which offer a hacky add on are the A4 etc

The issue is about selecting the gear you need with due diligence rather than assuming every device does everything … just my 2c

1 Like

I don’t know.

My biggest gripe with Elektron is that they almost never comment on their design decisions. There might be a really good and sensible answer to your question, but best case scenario you’re just going to get plausible speculations from users on this forum here rather than someone from Elektron actually explaining the reasons.

To be fair, many companies seem to operate this way. This might be a smart business decision, but again, what irritates me with this is that you’re not going to get a transparent statement that you won’t get any transparent statements regarding these matters. I often feel either ghosted or gaslighted 🫠

I don’t know if this was off-topic, but to sum it up: you’re not going to get a definitive answer.

I came to the forum specifically to see this issue mentioned. This feature is so simple and obvious to me, I was surprised to learn that it DOESN’T send MIDI from regular machine tracks and there’s no way to enable it.

I really wish there was an option to enable it somewhere, but until then, for certain use cases the Mode:Cycles is the only option over the Syntakt.

Following this thread for updates and hoping to see this implemented.

Hey Cat, I’ve probably misunderstood your question, but that midi limitation seems reasonable. ST’s machines are designed to be used inside the box, midi tracks for outside. Curious about your use-case.

• What are you converting midi to cv with & could there something going on in it that’s filtering out your Syntakt?
  • Do you need to use a machine track (not a midi track) for this?
  • Are you using the right tool for the job (don’t you already own an A4 that does what you want)?

TBH I’ve never considered cv out an essential groovebox feature. Grooveboxes are designed to handle a lot internally as one device. They’re pretty the opposite to going modular, which requires many devices. Both are great but they serve different purposes/perspectives, so overlapping them leads to ‘why can’t X do Y, even though Z can?’.

Plus comparing the ST to the Volca Drum… Ha! If you don’t want your ST anymore, how about a swap? Your ST for my spare (near mint) Volca Drum. Reckon I could go another 4 SY raw machines.