Syntakt and OB

Does the Syntakt suffer from the same panning issue of the Digitakt in that any panning automation or sequencing doesn’t translate to the recorded Overbridge audio when multitracking?

1 Like

Yes. The 12 individual tracks are mono. The analog FX track, the LR input, the delay/reverb, and the main outs are able to be captured as 4 individual stereo tracks.
So one workaround for preserving the panning information is to route the tracks through the afx track.
I thought it would be nice to also be able to configure an additional stereo bus by preventing some of the tracks to be routed through the main outs, as you still capture these tracks in mono. The tracks that are still going through the main outs retain the stereo image. This works, but has one caveat: any tracks removed from the main outs are also removed from the afx track, so the idea to use the main outs and afx track as two separate stereo busses doesn’t work at the moment. I hope that’s a bug and not hardwired in the routing within the ST.

1 Like

It’s the same limitation and workarounds as the Digitakt and makes OB a waste of time. Shit.

1 Like

It’s a bit more flexible, as you don’t have to sacrifice the main outs for capturing the FX separately. If elektron are able to fix the problem with the main out mutes/afx mutes described above, it will be flexible enough for me.
Two stereo busses for wide synths and panning shenanigans, separate stereo fx, separate stereo inputs, and all that’s left (for me) is bass, kicks, snares, hats, and perc, which I don’t mind, or even prefer to have in mono.

1 Like

I don’t think OB is a waste of time. It works really well for me. You just have to be prepared to make some adjustments in your DAW. Being able to stream all those tracks to your DAW is awesome :slightly_smiling_face: You can stream the FX as well. I guess it might be a matter of preference. I don’t mind it.

1 Like

Right, but if I spend time meticulously programming pan automation and LFO panning stuff, it’s lost the minute I hook it up to OB. I plan on trying to see if the INT+EXT destination function would work, but I won’t know till I finally sit down and sort it out. I figure maybe I can link the PAN knobs to my DAW via MIDI and have it record the automation, too.

I’m not an Overbridge fanatic but you could just spend time meticulously programming pan automation and LFO panning on your DAW.

1 Like

Right, but then I’m using my DAW for more than just simple recording, which I’ve grown to really not enjoy.

2 Likes

I understand. In situations like that, I just record a stereo track of that particular sound with everything else muted. It takes extra time but that way, your automation stays put.

Oh I know. There are obvious workarounds, but they end up taking a long time to get done. I’m working on a 1 hour set with all 3 Digi boxes and an OT. I do want multitrack the thing, but that’s gonna take forever. I plan on writing an entire album with no computer until final recording, mixing, and processing, so now I have to do each song in multiple takes just to get the stereo stuff on separate channels?

Again, I’m glad the workarounds are good for some. They aren’t good for my use, though, and so I’m vocal about it because I think it would be beneficial for others, as well.

2 Likes