Syntakt + EC4 + Octatrack

Hello!
I have Octatrack’s MIDI OUT connected to Syntakt’s MIDI IN to send clock, transport and prog. change. But I also have Faderfox EC4 and I need it to control Syntakt. Since Syntakt’s MIDI IN is busy, it is impossible.
What should I do? Is there a way to connect EC4 to Octatrack and route MIDI messages to Syntakt? Or do I have to buy MIDI Merge?

Not impossible at all. Use auto channel. It is designed for this very purpose. Check OT manual for clarity.

Basics, Fader fox sends on auto channel ( choose a midi channel to be auto channel, OT default is 11)

Fader fox midi out to OT midi IN.

Select an OT midi channel, set that to same auto channel.
Now when that channel is selected, OT will pass midi onto syntatkt, which ever syntakt track is the active track- that will be controlled by fader fox.

Hope that makes sense. It’s easy, but takes a bit of setting up, follow the manual.

Other solution : use the Syntakt as Master.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I tried trick with auto channel, but looks like it can only send MIDI when this MIDI channel on OT is selected and it applies only to selected track on Syntakt. So that makes EC4 almost useless, that’s why I think the best solution is to use Syntakt as Master, though I don’t like this option.

And what if I want to send both OT’s and EC4’s MIDI to Syntakt? Is this a case when only MIDI Merge gear can help?

EC4 MIDI Out > OT MIDI In

Then merging OT MIDI Out and Thru to go to ST MIDI In, surely.

If I remember well (sold mine a while ago), the EC4 can merge incoming Midi with its own messages.

So, OT => EC4 => ST should be possible…

2 Likes

Wow, that’s interesting. I will definitely try

1 Like

I just checked: the Midi in/out routing and merging options are described on page 7 of the EC4 manual.

4 Likes

Thanks! Works like a charm!

2 Likes