Syntakt fx loop

Hey there.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to set up an fx loop on the syntakt? I was curious about setting up a pedal fx chain using the external inputs and wondered if it’s at all possible to have both the main outputs and headphone output configured independently or maybe another workaround?

I mainly was keen to try using my strymon reverb instead of the built in one.

I guess it could be done potentially using overbridge as an option?

Unfortunately the headphone out, main outputs, and audio-over-USB (non-Overbridge) all output the same signal, and there’s no workaround for an fx loop of this kind.

If you are using Overbridge and a computer, you can use the audio routing settings page to send just selected tracks out of the main output (if for instance you want to put just certain tracks through the hardware reverb).

This is good news, I should play with that more. You don’t always want compression or distortion on everything

Thanks for your help

Ok, the overbridge option looks like it may be the solution for studio work and writing. Shame, there’s no hardware option, could be good for live performance.

HOLD UP!

If you’re able to work with audio over USB for the FX loop, the Audio Routing menu in Settings has options for USB OUT: you can choose individual tracks for L and R (or Main or Ext), and then USB IN can be Pre-FX or Post-FX

Sadly this isn’t going to help with the Strymon reverb or other guitar pedals, but I think—will test this out at some point—that routing option opens the possibility of passing a couple of tracks through effects on an iPad, which could open some interesting possibilities…

This is an option on Syntakt that’s not there on my Digitakt, but the answer above about Main, Headphone, and USB being identical for ST was wrong…

3 Likes

that’s an excellent thing to find, I like where this is headed. :exploding_head:

Yep!!! It works, and yeah, wow, it looks like I’m about to be using my iPad a lot more.

At first blush it comes out a touch quiet, I’m just having Drambo listen to 1 track here, but adding the USB +12 dB in Syntakt settings means it’s pretty well balance volume wise.

2 Likes

Wow this is exciting! I’ve got loads of cheap fx apps on my iPad and even more weirder exciting things like granular fx.

The other thought with the usb option is my sounddevices mix pre 3. I usually take that out live to record a set anyhow, but I could prob set up an fx loop template on that for the pedals and use the usb to route that back into the syntakt.

I totally hadn’t even considered my iPad being part of this setup, but actually even having the syntakt potentially triggering some sounds over the midi channels might be worth delving into too.

Thanks!

1 Like