Syntakt Scales & Micro-Tuning

Dear Elektron Engineer & Sound designers.

I really want to thank you for your product design although I have some remarks as a sound designer and Engineer for a machine like the Syntakt I would like to raise some topics that we need to discuss really.
first of them is the scales :

It will be really great if we could create via a software our one scales, and also it will be great to have micro tuning on this machine. ( you could tell me you could work it around with track tuning and param locks etc … ) but I think it will be great for a machine with that price to have more customization options via software really I think you need to work on that or at least open up your platform for engineers and sound designers that could improve with you the machine.

I will come later to the Sound Synthesis engines or “Machines” as you cll them specially the physical Modelling synthesis.

All the Best
Omar Karray

2 Likes

Yes, additionnal custom scales.

Microtiming seems more difficult to implement, but it is possible to change tuning of specific notes with a midi processor between an instrument and Syntakt.

1 Like

hi thank you for your reply. in fact there is different ways to play microtonal scales I share with you this tool to implement and play microtonal scales with specific sequencer https://isartum.net
CTM 2021: »Repressed Possibilities – An Introduction to Apotome« by Khyam Allami - YouTube and it’s creator Khyam Allami presenting it.
this method is using Pitch Bend midi .
On Modular in general it is just a voltage with Shift Register like the Ornament and crime modules.

on the Korg Minilogue XD you could define a custom scale and micro-tune each note on the scale + or - 50ct

My idea is to have the micro tuning on the Synthakt directly like the Korg Minilogue XD
and this will really match what @Elektron says New sounds from new place, micro tuning will open up a new possibilities to craft new tonal sounds on groove boxes like that.

(@sezare56 why you think it will be hard to implement it ). @Elektron engineers could you tell us more about those limits ? really just want to know will it compromise the performances of the syntakt ?

All the Best
Omar Karray

1 Like

With the Syntakt, you can’t record pitchbend in audio tracks, so you’d need to use a midi processor mapping notes with Tune parameter offsets, with NRPN resolution I think.

The microtuning was also asked for Analog Four since a few years. I don’t think it will be a prority, but who knows…

There is microtuning on the Micromonsta 2 iirc.

I’m not using microtonal scales, I’m already happy they implemented new scales on Syntakt.

@sezare56 thank your for your reply, now a lot of hardware is implementing microtuning, I open that thread to have a discussion with @Elektron engineers and interested people on how this could be designed on a Syntakt. for sure having scales on the Syntakt is great but being able to create a custom scale that goes equal temperament tuning will be a great addition to this groovebox !

1 Like

AFAIK they don’t answer with that name quote. Maybe @_Niko may shime in ?

There is a topic for feature requests they probably read, and a specific mail :
feature-request@elektron.se

2 Likes

Yes! I don’t have a Syntakt, but this is my one pet peeve with Elektron machines. Only the two standard major and minor scales in the arps of OT and A4/AK. And no built-in way to create and save your own microtonal scales.

1 Like